PDA

View Full Version : Emerging Cicada

Steve Maxson
11-04-2018, 11:07 AM
This freshly emerged Cicada was photographed at night at Selva Verde Lodge in Costa Rica. Canon 1D X, Sigma 150mm macro, 1/80, f/10, ISO 3200, tripod. This Lodge does not allow the use of flash for photography so the side lighting was provided by a hand held LED light (the difference in light intensity between flash and the LED necessitated the low shutter speed and high ISO).

Ravi Hirekatur
11-04-2018, 11:12 PM
Beautiful image! I think the lighting has worked well. good detail on wings and sharp head. The dark areas around the image bring attention to cicada.

John Mack
11-05-2018, 08:11 PM
Looks great. The LCD light worked very well. The subject is interesting and i like the moss or is it lichen?

Steve Maxson
11-05-2018, 09:55 PM
Thanks Ravi and John. John, I thing the greenery is mostly moss, though there could be some lichens mixed in as well.

Jonathan Ashton
11-06-2018, 11:35 AM
Steve that's really good, I suspect better than flash which I suspect may have reflected on the wings (??). I think the night scenario is well presented, it is almost as if a little moonlight came and did you a favour!
It may be worth having a look see to see if you can get a little detail more on the RHS which is in strong shade it may/may not be practicable.

Steve Maxson
11-06-2018, 06:07 PM
Thanks Jon. One good thing about the LED light (if you have a subject that allows you to set up a tripod) is that you can move the light around to see the effects of different positions and angles - before you take the shot.

Jonathan Ashton
11-07-2018, 01:21 AM
Steve the LED seems like a good investment, did you get the Manfrotto?

Steve Maxson
11-09-2018, 07:42 PM
Jon - the LED I have is a Promaster LED120SS. As this is the only model I have tried, I can't say whether it is better or worse than other brands.