PDA

View Full Version : Black Wolf at kill

Todd Frost
06-27-2008, 01:50 PM
Black (Agate pack) wolf at elk kill.
D300, 80-400vr, f8, 1/200, iso720
Comments and critiques always appreciated.
Thanks for looking,
Todd

Alfred Forns
06-27-2008, 02:37 PM
Hi Todd love the look of that wolf !!! I think he is telling you back off and find your own elk !!! Love it !!!

Roman Kurywczak
06-27-2008, 04:36 PM
Hi Todd,
Also love it. Very nice eye contact and the carcass is an added bonus!

Steve Foss
06-27-2008, 06:23 PM
Todd, the eye contact and carcass are great. Also, the wolf has a tremendous amount of character in its face. Unusual shape and pelage. All good.

What puts it over the top for me is the sagebrush. As well as making a nice fairly high-key setting for the darker subjects in the image, it marks this as a western photograph, and wolves out west are still not that common. Getting a wild wolf at an actual wolf kill anywhere is a very tough thing, so this brings even higher marks, especially since the area is not all torn up.

Excellent work.

The eyes/snout seem a bit soft to me. If they seem soft to you, too, a bit of selective sharpening would take care of business.

Grady Weed
06-27-2008, 06:25 PM
Kudos for pulling this one off. Steve hit this one on the head. Frame it and hang it. Love the eye stare and sagebrush. The kill is a bonus and as is the real deal image or subject.

Robert Amoruso
06-30-2008, 01:11 PM
Agree with the comments. I love the BG and FG too - contrasts so well with the wolf. Great work.

Gary Hamilton
07-05-2008, 10:30 AM
That's a keeper! Having spent a fair amount of time in Yellowstone, I can appreciate the extreme difficulty of just being able to see a wolf at this close range let alone having the great fortune to find one on a kill and the skill required to capture this "back off" behavior. Keep up the good work.