PDA

View Full Version : Daybreak on Lake Superior

Andrew McLachlan
11-02-2018, 11:04 AM

An extreme wide angle daybreak scene captured during my recently concluded Lake Superior Wild and Scenic Photography Retreat.

Nikon D800
Laowa 12mm Zero D Lens
ISO 50
f16 at 1/2 sec
Singh Ray 3-stop Reverse Graduated Neutral Density Filter

Looking forward to comments and suggestions.

John Mack
11-03-2018, 05:33 PM
Very nice. Love the leading line the rocks make. Nice detail throughout the frame. Great clouds as well.

Morkel Erasmus
11-04-2018, 09:44 AM
I like the composition and leading lines here, Andrew.
I might be tempted to reduce the magenta hue overall - the Singh Ray has a knack for introducing too much magenta if I am not mistaken?
How is that Laowa treating you? Heard good things about it - purely manual lens?

Andrew McLachlan
11-06-2018, 06:55 PM
Thanks guys for the comments and suggestions.

Morkel, now that you mention it I do see a bit of a magenta cast...will tone that down. The Laowa is a fantastic lens. I mainly bought it for my commercial architectural work as it has zero distortion when kept square with the world. It is fully manual with a very reliable hyperfocal scale engraved on the lens barrel. It is all metal construction and built like a tank. My two complaints are the removable petal hood causes slight vignetting but easily fixed with a Dremel tool and a cut-off wheel :) The Laowa 100mm filter holder also requires some creative grinding with a Dremel tool to eliminate vignetting :) Nobody makes a filter holder for this lens that does not vignette which I find rather pathetic.

Arthur Morris
11-23-2018, 08:24 PM
I love the foreground sharpness and detail.

a

Krishna Prasad kotti
11-28-2018, 09:09 AM
I love Image like this which has predominant foreground elements. I like the colorful sand.

I always wanted to shoot this wide but somehow I could not manage it. I agree I am yet to find good set of filters at this wide end which made resigned me from trying to shoot this wide.

TFS