PDA

View Full Version : Theme Northern Wheatear

Isaac Grant
11-02-2018, 07:54 AM
Figured I will get the monthly theme off and running. This Northern Wheatear is quite rare in our area. It is the only the 4th one I have seen in NY in the last 30 years. It showed up on Long Island this Sunday and I was not able to make it out for it in the evening but got up well before first light and got there the next morning for the sunrise light. The setting was perfect as the area where the bird was frequenting was open with intermittent small plantings that were at eye level or below and made for beautiful perches. I find those perches so much more interesting then just getting it perched on the ground. I have some closer shots as well that will surely post some other time. Nothing added or cloned. Note that on the small leaves below and to the right of the bird there is a small whitish area. That was on the original raw like that and I think it is the reflection of the sun while the branches blew in high wind.

Canon 1dx mark ii and Canon 500 f4 i (a borrowed lens from a good friend while I wait for the new 600 iii to be released) + 1.4x iii. ISO 800, F5.6, SS 1/2000

David Roach
11-02-2018, 12:18 PM
This composition works for me. The two tone BG and light add to the image. TFS

annmpacheco
11-02-2018, 01:58 PM
Very nice Isaac, I like the pose, the perch and the punch of Autumn color. Happy to see you posting with your temporary rig!

Arthur Morris
11-02-2018, 03:29 PM
SH, EXP, and IQ right on. Decent enough, but the bird is too centered for me. And the head turned a bit too much toward you for the over-the-shoulder pose. Good luck getting a 600 II before 2020 :)

As the late Robin Williams might have said, "Here's my idea of a crop" (plus a bit of clean-up). Glad that you got the bird; do you keep a NY State list?

with love, artie

Isaac Grant
11-02-2018, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the different perspective Artie. I think both crops work well enough. I liked a bit more room and the inclusion of the beautiful plants but see how this works also. Yes I keep a state list. I am at 425 for NY. That puts me at #6 in the state on ebird but I know of at least 2 people who have more than me that are not in ebird. So I am in the top ten. My biggest misses are pelagics as I get sea sick and could easily add 7-8 species with a few trips.

John Mack
11-03-2018, 06:49 AM
I like it. Sweet light great background. The birds works very well small in the frame.

Robert Ainslie
11-03-2018, 07:52 AM
Hello Isaac,

You really did get the light spot on - no irritating shadows on the bird.:bg3:
The two-tone background with the red foliage really caught my eye!
Well done.

Regards,
Rob

Geoffrey Montagu
11-03-2018, 10:54 AM
Great capture of this globe trotter, Isaac. Beautiful warm tones throughout, and very nice look back. Did a little research on these beauties, and was blown away, no pun intended, by their travel routes.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

Arthur Morris
11-03-2018, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the different perspective Artie. I think both crops work well enough. I liked a bit more room and the inclusion of the beautiful plants but see how this works also. Yes I keep a state list. I am at 425 for NY. That puts me at #6 in the state on ebird but I know of at least 2 people who have more than me that are not in ebird. So I am in the top ten. My biggest misses are pelagics as I get sea sick and could easily add 7-8 species with a few trips.

YAW. Do you know about Joe DiCostanzo? He is the assistant director on Great Gull Island. He is right behind you at 424. His last state bird was the Kirtland’s Warbler this past May in Central Park. Did you get that one?

with love, artie

<style type="text/css">p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #5756d6; -webkit-text-stroke: #5756d6}p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; -webkit-text-stroke: #000000; min-height: 14.0px}p.p3 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; -webkit-text-stroke: #000000}span.s1 {font-kerning: none}</style>

Isaac Grant
11-03-2018, 11:05 AM
Sure I know Joe. Have met him many times. For a long time I disn’t keep a state list so were quite a few birds that were easy that I didn’t chase. Yes I got the Kirtland’s. Broke many traffic laws getting to Manhattan before dark to get that bird!!!