PDA

View Full Version : Talk about Sassy!

Isaac Grant
10-30-2018, 06:39 PM
I know this bird is beat up and the plumage is not all that attractive, but this female Common Eider sure knew how to walk with some serious attitude! This photo was taken at the last light of the day on a beautiful cloudless evening this summer on the beaches of Long Island, New York. I have previously posted a shot of a young male running down the beach and mentioned that I have never seen these sea ducks out of the water. In that sense it they afforded some unique opportunities in amazing light. She was glowing like this when walking down the beach so I kept the shot true to what I saw as the intensely warm evening light made her a glowing yellowish/brown bird.

Canon 1dx mark ii and Canon 600 f4 ii. ISO 1600, F8, SS 1/1250

Colin Driscoll
10-31-2018, 03:57 AM
Bird with attitude. Lovely shot.

annmpacheco
10-31-2018, 12:26 PM
Love every feather here Isaac, what a wonderful image. Love the sass and her eye as she looks your way. Cool to see the unfurled feather shafts on her tail. IQ is tops

John Mack
10-31-2018, 05:32 PM
Very nice. Like the low angle and that pose. Light looks pretty sweet as well.

David Seymour
11-01-2018, 01:36 AM
Hi Isaac,
Now that's what I call stepping out! Some birds (and other animals) just seem to exude a sense of confidence, and this one definitely seems to have it. Great that you retained the warm light effect on the bird, and the depth of field is just right to my eye. I think the band of warm last-light in the BG is also important to the composition in kind of legitimizing the warm light on the bird, if that makes sense. The Canon 600mm f/4 is certainly a wonderful lens for detail, and you've made the most of it with this one.
Cheers, David

Dorian Anderson
11-01-2018, 11:32 PM
Stunning image, particularly the details on the feet. You really had some nice light on this gal. The low angle makes her seem large than life.

Arthur Morris
11-02-2018, 04:10 PM
Quite the strutter. I love everything about it but for the bad luck breaking wave.

Ann, we are seeing the feather shaft because those feathers are extremely worn; there is nothing unfurled about them :)

with love, artie