PDA

View Full Version : Harassed

Steve Kaluski
10-30-2018, 09:49 AM
This Tawny Eagle was desperately trying to retain some scraps whilst being badgered by the ensuing crows who would harass him by pulling or tugging at his wing & tail feathers in the hope of distraction him and so one of them might steal a tasty morsel. Sadly the feet and carrion were hidden by the depression.

Thanks to those who both viewed and more importantly, commented.

Steve

Subject: Tawny eagle (Aquila rapax) harassed
Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
Lens: 200-400f/4 MKII Gitzo & Flexline ballhead
Exposure: 1/2000s at f/8 ISO3200
Original format: Landscape, very small from the top
Processed via: LRCC2019 & PSCC 2019

John Mack
10-30-2018, 06:27 PM
Like the action here and the low angle. Those are neat looking grows i have only ever seen all black ones. Details look quite good.

Daniel Cadieux
10-30-2018, 06:34 PM
Pretty neat action here - the eagle looks none too pleased! Normally I would not like the cut bird above, but in the context of the situation it works well enough. If anything I'd crop away a good portion of the space below.

Steve Kaluski
10-31-2018, 02:29 AM
I would not like the cut bird above, but in the context of the situation it works well enough.

Sadly it was at 560mm Dan, max for the lens as I was tracking the Tawny, wasn't expecting the crows to then come in, otherwise I would agree, needed to pulled back to avoid cutting the subjects. The crows were massive, about our magpie or jay here across the pond.

If anything I'd crop away a good portion of the space below.

Agree. :S3:

Alex Becker
11-01-2018, 08:04 AM
Pretty sweet action Steve. Love the pose and I like the OOF birds. Eagle looks great. TFS

Steve Kaluski
11-02-2018, 06:54 AM
Cheers Alex.

Arthur Morris
11-02-2018, 04:20 PM
What focal length was the image made at? Good that the carrion was hidden ...

am

ps: was it baited?

Steve Kaluski
11-02-2018, 05:08 PM
What focal length was the image made at?

400mm Artie.

ps: was it baited?

Remnants of a carcass

Gabriela Plesea
11-07-2018, 02:38 PM
Love the action here Steve, the presence of those pied crows add interest. They can be such a nuisance, always harassing other birds:)

Eagle beautifully exposed with wonderful detail, love those wings spread out as he protects his meal.

Happy with composition as is, just thinking the frame would appear too crowded if you went any tighter at the bottom. I am also considering the virtual legs.

Thank you for sharing, I enjoyed viewing:S3:

Warmest regards,

Arthur Morris
11-07-2018, 05:45 PM
Remnants of a carcass

Thanks Steve on the focal length. No chance to zoom out?

Was the carcass 100% natural or was it placed as bird bait? Just curious.

with love, artie

Steve Kaluski
11-08-2018, 03:09 AM
Thanks Steve on the focal length. No chance to zoom out?

Yes, I could have Artie, just drop the 1.4 as it was the Canon 200-400, but was so prefocus on the Tawny...

Artie, this was a spot away from the 'scavenger hide (baited)', often Avian & Wildlife ie Vulture/Jackal take elements from the 'baited' site and either drop or leave them around the area and so everything is constantly being picked and played with, but just depends. We had stopped having left the hide on route back to camp, saw the commotion, waited a few minutes, then decided to take a gamble and get out as it was safe, shot from behind the rear of the jeep.

Artie, the location is Zimanga, close to where Gabriela lives.

Arthur Morris
11-08-2018, 04:55 AM
Thanks for the clarifications.

with love, artie