PDA

View Full Version : Colourful wWPeregrine

Ian McLachlan
10-29-2018, 03:21 AM
This lady is feeding her young in last years Whistling Kite's nest above the only walking path on our longest river [Murray]. Two years ago they had their eerie on the limestone cliffs 30 metres away last year nothing so I went back for a look and she was very unhappy. As she still had some Galah feathers on one foot I knew the young had been fed so took a few shots.
I Like the variation in her colour as mostly they seem to be whiter on the breast. I have made the swap from Canon after much thought and am also finding that once you get focused,as we have been told, this D5 hangs on for BIF. Haven't done too much work on this as I like it more or less as it is and luckily she is coming out of the light cloud which helps a bit from those rather plain blue skies we get a bit too much of sometimes down here. Anyway, youngsters in the air in couple of weeks! First post with the new gear would appreciate any help or comments as I hardly know where to find the buttons.

D5
1/5000
iso1600
500mm fl plus 1.4
hh

Isaac Grant
10-29-2018, 08:42 AM
This is just beautiful. A fantastic image and a compelling reason to switch for anyone. Doesn't seem like there is too much doubt about how good the Nikon gear holds focus. Details are beautiful, image quality is beautiful, pose is beautiful and the bit of clouds really helps to break up the blue sky. This is a really fantastic image and one I would love to have.

John Mack
10-29-2018, 03:33 PM
Great view you have managed to capture here. The pose and eye contact are very nice.

William Dickson
10-29-2018, 04:26 PM
This is really nice Ian. Fabulous IQ and that BG sure shows the bird real good. I like the pose and also the head turn. I would love to capture a peregrine in flight. Well done, good work.

Will

Isaac Grant
10-29-2018, 09:23 PM
Man I came back to this image 3 times today. This is just outstanding. Love the image quality. Worth every penny of the switch to get shots like this!

Dorian Anderson
10-29-2018, 11:17 PM
Yea, this is a really great shot, Ian! The intensity and underwing are just fantastic. Wispy sky behind bird is a nice touch as well!

David Salem
10-29-2018, 11:40 PM
Fantastic Ian!! Love the pose, details and wispy blue sky. My favorite subject, Peregrine falcons, and this is my favorite subspecies, Macropus. Glad the change to Nikon produced such a beautiful frame.
Can't wait to hopefully see her in a few weeks!! See ya soon

Ian McLachlan
10-29-2018, 11:43 PM
Thanks for your comments . Isaac this lens is heavy enough for me but when the camera focus hangs on like this my withdrawal symptoms from swapping the Canons are starting to go, much as I loved those top Canon lenses. The moderators advice helps us all a great deal so many thanks for all that as well.

Ian McLachlan
10-29-2018, 11:46 PM
Looking forward to that David very much.They are waiting for you!

Daniel Cadieux
10-30-2018, 06:49 PM
I love everything about this except for the deepest blues of the sky, which I find too saturated. Personal opinion of course. The incoming angle and sunlit face look great. Congrats on a successful gear swap, I am happy it is working out!

Ian McLachlan
10-31-2018, 06:30 AM
Thanks Daniel.
The odd thing is that on my Mac the over saturation is not there . Since you pointed it out I have compared the image a few times and the image on BPN is more saturated than the image I sent in which the whispy cloudiness [whites] is/are stronger and the colour in general a bit softer. And its better than what came through on this site .I dont know what has caused this 'change in translation'. Glad you pointed it out and will watch out for it in future. Thanks again. Ian

Arthur Morris
11-03-2018, 07:26 AM
Ditto Isaac and the rest. Please confirm the 500mm f/4. I would not object to pulling the curve up just a bit.

with love, artie

Ian McLachlan
11-03-2018, 09:27 PM
Confirming Artie that this was taken with N. 500 mm VR FL F/4 + TC14E iii .It took about 6 weeks to turn up as i understand they are only made in Japan and to order..

600 now too big for me to hh but love what this combo can do. Will fiddle with the curve thanks..

Ian