PDA

View Full Version : Just a Test (f11 glass with AF)

David Roach
10-25-2018, 02:34 PM
EOS R EF 100-400(original) 2xtcII at 800mm (one shot single point AF right below eye) f16 1/1250 ISO 10000

Went to anhinga trail (Everglades National Park) this morning with my old 100-400 and 2xtcII to see if the EOS R would indeed AF with f11 glass. This was the first grab shot right at sunrise. This beauty was up about 25ft on top of a pond apple. I am still knocking the rust off, learning the camera and am a beginner in post processing expertise. This body, however, has lots of potential. This is old glass, but with newer versions you can walk around with a very light 200- 800mm rig. I did run NI on the BG but not the shadows in the bird (should have). I know the pond apple is far from an ideal perch, just wanted to give info on EOS R capabilities. I did remember from previous experience these TCs (1.4 and 2x) are decently sharp only when you stop down. I spent the morning(very few birds this morning) at f8-f11 and the EOS R AF worked fine.

John Mack
10-26-2018, 04:53 PM
Image quality looks pretty good. Like the pose on the bird and the perch. There might be some waster depth of field at f/16.

Arthur Morris
11-04-2018, 12:32 PM
Interesting. How long did it take to focus?

with love, am

David Roach
11-04-2018, 01:29 PM
I had it stopped down to f16 because this glass is wide open at f11 and I remember it (2xtcII) can have sharpness issues wide open. However, I obviously never used this combo on my old rigs as there was no AF. This was literally a grab shot and it went straight to it on this try. It doesn't even appear to hunt that much in general. It does however occasionally think it's in focus when totally out. I think this is a software issue. Letting go and resetting (pushing shutter again) always fixes this issue when it occurs. And the focus works at all 5000+ points (at least the random points i picked all over the frame) on f11 glass. Amazing to me. There are going to clearly be kinks to work out for canon using DPAF for stills. But this looks very promising for future mirrorless rigs from canon. Still need to try BIF.