PDA

View Full Version : American Avocet

greg cowle
10-24-2018, 07:16 AM
Photographed in Alviso CA in the early morning. Playing around with a narrower DOF so the wingtips are OOF, but the body plane is nicely in focus. What I am not sure about is the color here with the early morning light and the close water background?
800mm, 1/3200, f7.1, ISO1600
Greg

David Roach
10-24-2018, 08:11 AM
I love the light, the handling of dark and light plumage, The face and eye(with catchlight). The DOF looks fine from here. Wish for better angle. TFS BTW, I actually wish for a little more of that OOF water on top.

gail bisson
10-24-2018, 02:28 PM
Looks good Greg.
I like the exposure and IQ.
Do you have a bit more room on the right of the frame? Feels a bit tight.
I agree with a bit more on top to maintain same crop ratio if you do have more canvas on the right.
I love the near wing position but am not so fussy about the back wing position.I wish it was all the way down.
I would also bump up the saturation by 3-4 points.
Nice frame,
Gail

John Mack
10-24-2018, 07:23 PM
How the near wing almost touches the water is neat. The head could be turned towards you slightly more.

Dorian Anderson
10-24-2018, 09:43 PM
Exposure looks decent which is good for these high contrast subjects. I also wish for a bit ore room around him if you have it. I do not think I would add much more saturation as the head is really rufous already. Beyond the disengaged head angle, I wish that front wing was a bit sharper.

greg cowle
10-24-2018, 09:56 PM
Thanks all for the comments. He was banking in front of me to land, hence the lower left wing. Came closer than I was expecting @800mm, this is almost the full frame. I have nothing more above or behind, only a sliver ahead and below, which is not where we want the space...

Arthur Morris
11-07-2018, 07:24 AM
Ditto Gail and bummer on the head angle. The rich tones on the head are too RED.

with love, artie

greg cowle
11-12-2018, 07:39 PM
Thanks Artie, thought it may have been too red, but wasn't sure.