PDA

View Full Version : Bull Elk

John Mack
10-23-2018, 07:57 PM
This image was created in Benezette, Pennsylvania on 9/27/18 at 5:20PM. Image adjustments in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Small crop.

Canon 5D MarkIV
Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
260mm
ISO 6400
f8.0
1/320sec

Jonathan Ashton
10-24-2018, 10:05 AM
What an impressive looking stag, 13 tines and big shoulders. Despite the slow shutter speed detail looks pretty good, though the image is not quite so large as your usual posts, a faster SS would have helped but at the expense of the associated noise at higher ISO. The noise in this image appears to be well controlled and I also note the fairly low angle from which the image was taken.

Steve Kaluski
10-24-2018, 10:46 AM
I think you could have gone for less DoF here John to gain a bit more SS and as I've mentioned before, you should try the DoF button on the camera, also are you also using 'Cases'? Combining these would help you. I would add some NR to the image, the BKG needs it, but then have you lightened the image, if so, this would amplify things? There does appear to be some 'cast' in the face/rack, + the WB & Tint helps. POV is better, but as per the previous image, the backdrop is busy and so the 'separation' is not ideal.

TFS
Steve

Marc Mol
10-24-2018, 03:51 PM
Love the low POV and stride in this stag here John, details on the stag look good considering the 6400 & mk IV.

Agree with less DOF and a more NR on the BG.

TFS

Andreas Liedmann
10-25-2018, 03:57 AM
Hi John , the image is working for me in terms of comp , good POV and the walking pose is good with a perfect angle of shooting .
The techs are always a point to discuss ...:bg3:...but sadly not changeable afterwards .
The busy background was there and one has to deal with it , you might have gone for 5.6 but this would have only helped marginally , IMHO . As said in previous comment to other images , lower the contrast in the BG does help a bit at times .
Overall the color does look a bit on the green side , might change the WB a fraction to add a bit of magenta for more neutrality .

TFS Andreas

Rachel Hollander
10-25-2018, 05:56 AM
Hi John - I prefer this wider view to the portrait you posted a day or so ago. Nice low pov and I like the walking pose. Agree on the dof. If it were mine I would darken the greens of the grasses.

TFS,
Rachel