PDA

View Full Version : Bird In The Sun, Background In The Shade

Joseph Przybyla
10-23-2018, 01:11 PM
I captured this image yesterday at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. The bird was perched in the sun light against a background of deep shade. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED image captured at 400mm
1/2000 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV -2/3 ISO 720 Auto 1 WB, camera supported by a monopod
Post processed in Lightroom Classic CC, Photoshop CC 2019 and Neat Image for noise reduction
Cropped for composition and presentation

Jonathan Ashton
10-23-2018, 01:58 PM
I like the heron very much but I would experiment with the blacks/shadows and or contrast to see what could be done about the blotches in the background (I had similar problem with some deer images recently)

Bill Dix
10-23-2018, 03:30 PM
Sweet shot of the Tricolor - sharp and well exposed. He might have picked a more weathered post, but the bird stands out nicely against the dark BG. I see what Jonathan means about the blotches. Dark backgrounds can be tough.

John Mack
10-23-2018, 04:29 PM
The bird really pops against that shaded background. The composition is nice as well.

Isaac Grant
10-23-2018, 08:56 PM
Details look excellent here Joe! Love the way the bird looks against the dark background. I am not sure what the guys are seeing but on my 5k Imac the background looks spot on perfect. A bit varied with some greenish and purplish tones. Very nice indeed. You know I have to bring up the perch though right? I don't like it or the white wash on it. If you had a better perch this would be one of the best shots I have ever seen of a Tri-colored heron.

Daniel Cadieux
10-24-2018, 05:39 AM
A great look at this heron! Nice details, super pose, and the colours look spot-on. I love the dark BG, and think it could go even darker. I am not in love with the perch, but I would still love a bit more room below. Nicely done, Joe!

Joseph Przybyla
10-25-2018, 06:45 AM
Thanks everyone for viewing and commenting, very much appreciated.

Arthur Morris
11-07-2018, 07:16 AM
Very well done. As noted above, perch is NTG but BKGR rocks. As does the bird and the EXP.

a