PDA

View Full Version : Bull Elk

John Mack
10-21-2018, 06:19 PM
This image was created in Benezette, Pennsylvania on 9/27/18 at 4:49PM. Image adjustments in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Medium Crop.

Canon 5D MarkIV
Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
267mm
ISO 6400
f8.0
1/400sec

Rachel Hollander
10-21-2018, 07:39 PM
Hi John - That's a big bull. I think the colors and temp look appropriate to the time of day. I find the white flowers in the llc distracting and would probably crop to eliminate them.

TFS,
Rachel

Jay Shah
10-22-2018, 12:23 AM
Hi John, I like the HA and straight on look which lines up horns quite nicely. Also like contrast between subject and FG. I feel that tighter crop would focus attention on the bull and reduce effect of FG & BG which is a bit too busy IMHO.

Steve Kaluski
10-22-2018, 05:37 AM
Hi John, great specimen, with a nice rack and I like the framing/POV here. For me, albeit I'm away, the colour looks a bit off, carrying too much Magenta and a slight tweak gets you a better starting point IMHO. Still working within LR you need to create that 'layering' to give a bit more depth. I would suggest you do apply some NR just to help the BKG here. Interesting that there is some IQ lost from uploading as the image is a lot sharper than presented.

Nice one John.

TFS
Steve
PS Don't forget to update LR & PS if you haven't already.

Andreas Liedmann
10-22-2018, 09:06 AM
Hi John a very nice rack and the look he gave you is very impressive ...!!!
Like the head up pose ...given some kind of majesty to the subject .
The fact he is hidden behind the shrub is giving the image some nice depth and 3D effect , just wish the BG would have been a bit less busy . A bit of negative clarity might help for the BG ....
Color does look off to me , Steve made it better , still too much magenta in the rack for my liking .
TFS Andreas

Jonathan Ashton
10-22-2018, 10:50 AM
He's a cheeky chappie looking at you, I think he has a super pose. The colours look a little off to me, the previous comments caught my eye as I scrolled down so I have nothing to add other than that I agree with them.

John Mack
10-22-2018, 05:31 PM
Hi John, great specimen, with a nice rack and I like the framing/POV here. For me, albeit I'm away, the colour looks a bit off, carrying too much Magenta and a slight tweak gets you a better starting point IMHO. Still working within LR you need to create that 'layering' to give a bit more depth.

Thanks Steve, How did you make the greens so dark?

Gabriela Plesea
10-25-2018, 02:09 PM
Hello John,

A bit late here but just wanted to say hello add a few thoughts briefly:S3:

Framing is great and pose is fantastic, what massive rack this Elk is carrying! Love the vegetation in the FG but I agree, a bit of noise reduction would help with the busy background.

Steve's version adds some nice "punch" and deals with the magenta cast. And you can darken the FG in a number of ways, you'll just have to find what works for you by experimenting with various tools in Photoshop:w3

I really enjoyed viewing this image and I particularly liked the HA from the subject and eye contact - well seen and captured, John!

Kind regards,