PDA

View Full Version : endangered snail kites mating

annmpacheco
10-14-2018, 12:20 PM
This was taken in Central Fl last April, HH from a boat. I was able to catch lots of interaction but the branches and twigs were heavy throughout most of the frames. I liked the very top of the tree where this pair perched allowing for an unobstructed branch free view. I chose a pano to give a more balanced treetop and cleaned up by removing a few branch tips. The eyes are truly this gorgeous ruby red when the light hits them and the mature males have very deep orange feet. I desaturated the orange a few points. DPP, DE, added contrast, NR...

1Dx
ISO 1000
1/2500

David Roach
10-14-2018, 12:37 PM
Love the composition with branches. Just the right amount of room all around for me. And the two subjects put it over the top for me! Only wish the female wasn't banded but glad the preservation of these beauties is being helped along by the research.

gail bisson
10-14-2018, 01:30 PM
This is a gorgeous frame Ann...and a moment I totally missed because I am an idiot!!:Whoa!: What the he** was I doing when this happened?
I love the male's eye and the terrific clean look at both birds.
90% of the kites are banded so I am OK with the bands.
Crop is excellent.
I see a sharpening halo around the birds- that is an easy fix.
Since you already cloned some branches, i would clone out the OOF branch in RLC by your signature and probably would clone out the branch in front of the OOF one.
Great soft evening light. I would add a point of black to the image in selective color.
Lots of minor suggestions here but it is a fine frame as is,
Gail

annmpacheco
10-14-2018, 03:51 PM
This is a gorgeous frame Ann...and a moment I totally missed because I am an idiot!!:Whoa!: What the he** was I doing when this happened?
I love the male's eye and the terrific clean look at both birds.
90% of the kites are banded so I am OK with the bands.
Crop is excellent.
I see a sharpening halo around the birds- that is an easy fix.
cloned some branches, i would clone out the OOF branch in RLC by your signature and probably would clone out the branch in front of the OOF one.
Great soft evening light. I would add a point of black to the image in selective color.
Lots of minor suggestions here but it is a fine frame as is,
Gail

Remember (I put) the hundred dollars by your feet that you picked up? Thats when i shot these frames!!! How do i get the sharpening halo out of there?
Since you already

Robert Kimbrell
10-14-2018, 07:07 PM
Super image Ann. A great moment you captured, with both faces sharp. I am ok with the bands also, I have been shooting them a lot lately and they all seem to have bands. Nice that a bit of his under wings are visible.

Bill Dix
10-14-2018, 07:08 PM
Amazing capture, Ann. My eyes can't leave the birds, so I hardly notice the branches. Wonderful work!

Jonathan Ashton
10-15-2018, 05:46 AM
Wow that's an impressive image - well caught. Well focused and sharp.

John Mack
10-15-2018, 03:34 PM
I like it. Those red eyes are very neat. Very cool you got to witness this behavior.

Arthur Morris
10-15-2018, 05:12 PM
The face of the male is wicked. It is shame that they did not put on more bands.

with love, artie