PDA

View Full Version : Common Blue ~ after the storm

Jonathan Michael Ashton
06-27-2008, 07:54 AM
There was quite a storm last night over much of the UK. I nipped out this morning to get my first shots with the new 180mm macro lens. This little chap must have got quite a battering last night!

Canon 20D Canon 180mm macro Canon 550EZ plus Stofen Omnibounce, mounted on mono pod
ISO 100
AV Mode @ -1/3 Flash @ -1
1/80 @ f10

All comments welcome

Jon

Mike Lentz
06-27-2008, 10:37 AM
Another beautiful image! I like the complimentary brown colors of the perch that you see in the B-fly and the way the Butterfly pops against the nice green BG.

Roman Kurywczak
06-27-2008, 04:52 PM
Hi Jonathan,
Do love the BG and the colors..........even if he is a bit beat up. Did you try presenting this as a vert........even if the grass was in that direction. I tend to not like when things are going out the bottom of the frame..............so my question is........how does everyone else feel about that?????........... I don't think this would suffer with a vert rotation of the whole frame. Still like it very much either way!

Robert O'Toole
06-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Fantastic image Jon, The soft light is beautiful. Superb colors and sharpness and the FG/BG balance with the flash is just about perfect.

I like it as is, but I think a vert might be okay, I would try a diagonal also but that prob wouldn't work with the BG.

Robert

Steve Foss
06-27-2008, 06:54 PM
What Mike said!

Part of this might be monitor differences and part personal preference, but I think the colors would be slightly richer and the image more compelling if mid-range levels were darkened just a bit.

For me, it would turn a WOW image into a WOWIE!

Robert O'Toole
06-27-2008, 08:08 PM
What Mike said!

Part of this might be monitor differences and part personal preference, but I think the colors would be slightly richer and the image more compelling if mid-range levels were darkened just a bit.

For me, it would turn a WOW image into a WOWIE!

Hi Steve,

Strange I would say that the image is on the edge of being over all too dark as it is. On the monitor strip at the bottom of the page I can see the last 2 boxes on each end clearly, do me a favor, take a look at the monitor strip at the bottom of the page, can you see separation in the last 2 boxes in the darks and the light tones, Just out of curiosity?

Robert

Steve Foss
06-27-2008, 08:12 PM
The darkest two and lightest two boxes are easy to distinguish on my monitor. Guess it's my eyes that are failing me, not my monitor.

But shucks, a new monitor is WAY cheaper than new eyes. What's a guy to do? :D

Robert O'Toole
06-27-2008, 08:17 PM
Really, okay. I am on a calibrated 17 inch PC laptop that is why I was curious. It might not be your eyes at all. Are you on PC or Mac Steve?

There is really no right or wrong as long as your monitor isnt way off and it sounds like it is not.

Robert

Steve Foss
06-27-2008, 08:25 PM
I'm a Mac. I'm the cool, laid-back guy in the TV commercial who needs a shave but not an attitude adjustment and looks at the PC guy like he's losing his mind . . . or at least his Vista . . . :D :D

Robert O'Toole
06-27-2008, 08:26 PM
Hey Steve,
looks like we are both right and wrong in a way. I just downloaded the image and opened it in PS CS3. The BG is right on the midtone, the gray in the underwing is a little over mid tone, the grass next to one of the feet is pegged right on the midtone. The nice powder blue on the side looks right about in the mid tone area.

Now that I am looking at the lumi levels in PS, its not too dark nor too light technically. But there is no right or wrong when it comes to preferences.

Robert

Steve Foss
06-27-2008, 08:28 PM
Uh, right. What you said.

I just go by how it looks on the screen. How's that for a Mac kind of thing to say? :D :D

Robert O'Toole
06-27-2008, 08:29 PM
I'm a Mac. I'm the cool, laid-back guy in the TV commercial who needs a shave but not an attitude adjustment and looks at the PC guy like he's losing his mind . . . or at least his Vista . . . :D :D

Yeah well I would like to be a intel mac guy but I can afford the 100% premium over a PC right now. I want to try to buy one in the next 12 months or so. You are right about Vista, it is one huge headache :)

A full blown Intel 17 inch HP is about $2K-2.5K, a comparable Intel mac is about double :(

Robert

Steve Foss
06-27-2008, 08:31 PM
I don't own an Intel Mac. I own a Mac that works. ;)

Robert O'Toole
06-27-2008, 09:02 PM
I don't own an Intel Mac. I own a Mac that works. ;)

We are hijacking this thread but tell me about this now, is it drivers or what is the problem now :^O

Robert

John Cooper
06-27-2008, 09:52 PM
An exquisite image Jon - beautiful soft light and pastel colours. The composition is fine with me.
Welcome to Canon 180mm macro club!!!!

Steve Foss
06-27-2008, 10:12 PM
We are hijacking this thread but tell me about this now, is it drivers or what is the problem now :^O

Robert

Robert, you started it! :D

I'm happy returning to topic. Thanks John.

Nonda Surratt
06-28-2008, 07:16 PM
Lovely, lovely image, the colors are super!!!! Whats not to love about a blue moth??!!!

Ed Vatza
06-29-2008, 01:03 PM
Very nice image, Jonathan. I've just started working on butterflies and know what challenges they present. I think the image is super despite the fact that I am less than thrilled with the butterfly pointing downward. But hey, it was a rough night! Otherwise, color, sharpness, background all look great to me. Nice job.

Mike Lentz
06-30-2008, 08:01 AM
You two are nuts! :D

You are right about Vista, it is one huge headache I would disagree, but then again all the compenents from printers to monitors were new so I had zero compatibility issues and also bought after SP 1 came out. It also helps to have 4 GB ram to run that hog. But its snap diggity (yes I said that) fast and I have nothing but positive things to say about Vista. (probably a better topic in another thread)

hey, did I mention I still love this image! ;)