View Full Version : Knot

William Dickson
10-03-2018, 04:03 PM
Canon 1DX
f/4 500mm with 1.4
f/6.3
1/1600
ISO 640

I was walking towards my usual spot at low tide, late afternoon in my hometown. I saw this bird from a distance away, and knew it was something different, as I hadn't seen one before. I decided to get closer, and despite crawling between the rocks, I was seen by some oyster catchers, who flew off, giving the alarm call. The Knot followed shortly afterwards. I did get a few shots off, but this is a fair sized crop, hence small in frame. A lifer for me so I was fair chuffed. The BG is barnacle covered rocks, with the sea blending into the sky.

Will

Arthur Morris
10-03-2018, 04:29 PM
IQ held up well and you did a great job with the EXP.

with love, artie

Jim Crosswell
10-03-2018, 06:04 PM
A image to document you experience William. I like how the BG matches the neck and chest of the bird. Hopefully you will have a close encounter next time!

John Mack
10-03-2018, 08:02 PM
I really like this one. Neat perch, great background and the bird is in a nice position. Well balanced frame.

Daniel Cadieux
10-04-2018, 05:54 AM
Beautiful bird, beautiful BG, interesting "perch". I do find the bird low in the frame, but that is a difficult scene to compose with such a thick and dark bottom and with the knot standing low on it too.

William Dickson
10-04-2018, 02:54 PM
Thanks guys, much appreciated

William Dickson
10-04-2018, 02:55 PM
Beautiful bird, beautiful BG, interesting "perch". I do find the bird low in the frame, but that is a difficult scene to compose with such a thick and dark bottom and with the knot standing low on it too.

Thanks Dan...I did change my mind a few times with regards to the crop, and yes, I found it difficult to compose.

Will

Isaac Grant
10-04-2018, 04:27 PM
I like the crop and placement of the bird in the frame. Background is nice as well. I'm a fan of less than "ideal" settings for shorebird images. I do wish the bird was at the top of the grass and not buried down a bit. Looks like image quality suffered a bit to me from the large crop.

William Dickson
10-05-2018, 01:45 PM
Thanks Isaac, hopefully I will see them again, and try to get closer.

Will