PDA

View Full Version : Lucy's Warbler on Ocotillo

Isaac Grant
10-01-2018, 06:33 PM
When in Arizona, one of my main targets was Five-striped Sparrow. While waiting for them to fly back up the canyon and land near us, this Lucy's Warbler came in to feed very close to where we were. This particular stand of Ocotillo seemed to be very popular with the local birds as it was also visited by multiple species of hummingbird, Blue Grosbeak, Hooded Oriole and the sparrows. Background is the canyon below. I have more close up shots of this bird but I liked this loose crop that really gives a sense of scale to how small these birds are. Cropped to vertical.

Canon 1dx mark ii and Canon 600 f4 ii + 1.4x iii. F8, ISO 1250, SS 1/3200. The shutter speed may seem excessive but it was quite windy with strong gusts blowing up the canyon and the tiny branches of the plant were blowing all over the place. A very high shutter speed was mandatory to freeze the action.

annmpacheco
10-01-2018, 07:52 PM
Beautiful work Isaac. Thanks for the story behind the shot. I have never seen this warbler and what immediately stands out for me is the rusty rump feathers! I like the vertical and the ocotillo plant that almost seems to overpower this tiny bird. I wonder if they were perhaps feeding on some seeds in that spent blossom? Gorgeous colors, details, and that perky pose, all staged against a muted and clean BG. Lovely image, well done.

David Salem
10-01-2018, 08:05 PM
Nice vertical presentation Isaac. I like the perky pose and the nice colorful BG. The slash of rust on the rump and the color on the top of the perch add some nice color to the image. The sun was a little high but you did well with what you were working with. Well done

Dorian Anderson
10-01-2018, 08:46 PM
Yes, these guys are tiny! Perch and eye contact are wonderful. I'd crop a bit tighter - but keep the whole plant - to lose some of the empty space at top right. Wouldn't bother me if was a bit more centered.

Bill Dix
10-02-2018, 02:30 PM
Good small-in-frame shot of this tiny warbler (that I have never seen). Works well as posted, but I also think I would like it, or one of your other versions, with a tighter crop.

gail bisson
10-02-2018, 04:36 PM
I always love seeing a "new to me" species!
IQ is excellent as always.
i would tighten up the crop- there is too much space above for my taste.
Love the BG colors.
Gail

Isaac Grant
10-02-2018, 10:12 PM
Thank you to everyone who commented. I did try this as a tighter crop before I posted it with some off of the top and the right but then the bird seemed too far to the right to me and also too cramped. I guess I like my small in the frame shots pretty small in the frame. I do understand that cropping is quite subjective but appreciate the thoughts and critique.

Arthur Morris
10-03-2018, 08:54 AM
Nice frame. I am with Gail and would suggest a small crop from three sides, all but the bottom. There are not lots of photos of this species around.

with love, artie

Mike Poole
10-03-2018, 12:40 PM
I love small in frame when its done well, and this one fits the bill. Everything just sits right for me, wit the perch, BG, and of course the star of the show giving us a nice pose

Mike

Walker Noe
10-05-2018, 09:42 PM
Very cool bird and shot from a memorable trip. You did everything right here!