PDA

View Full Version : Razorbill

Jonathan Ashton
10-01-2018, 04:01 AM
Another image from the Farne Islands, tripod, Canon 1DX Canon 100-400 L IS II @ 248mm
Auto ISO 800 (+0.3), 1/1250 sec f8
ACR + PSCC

On refection if the tail had been more in focus it would have been better.

Mike Poole
10-01-2018, 09:47 AM
I like the pose on this one Jon, and you get a really good look at the eye which isn't easy with this species. The shot appears to have a bit of a yellow cast which could do with removing from the birds whites. I think if you'd have been able to have move slightly to with the right or left you'd have avoided having the BG intersecting with the head. The OOF tail doesn't bother me at all

Mike

David Cowling
10-01-2018, 10:36 AM
I like the head turn and slightly open bill. Tricky to expose for black and whites but this looks spot on. Agree with Mike on the Bg intersecting with the head. Never even seen one of these or photographed one. Must get myself to the Farnes or Bempton.

Jonathan Ashton
10-01-2018, 10:58 AM
Mike David, thanks for the feedback, I must admit I didn't really notice the background as you did. Here is a repost taking yellow out of the plumage, I was surprised how much there was there. The whites look better but I am wondering if I should have left just a little, the repost looks a bit too clean cut to me, maybe there is some yellow there albeit less than the original?

Mike Poole
10-01-2018, 01:50 PM
Looks much better to me Jon, up to you if you leave a small amount of yellow in, it will look natural as reflected light from the rocks.

Mike

annmpacheco
10-01-2018, 04:17 PM
Hi Jon,
I like the repost, and I love the inquisitive head turn. Very nice details on the bird, rocks have interest and the BG is pleasing to my eye. well done. I also like the bit of yellow in the mouth as shown...

John Mack
10-01-2018, 06:27 PM
Nice look back pose on the bird. The rock perch is nice. Details look quite good.

David Salem
10-01-2018, 08:21 PM
Looks great Johnathan and I like the details and exposure you captured. Nice pose and setting too but as Mike stated I too wish the BG wasn't going thru the face and head, but not a deal breaker. Well done

Dorian Anderson
10-01-2018, 08:53 PM
Fun one of this awkward guy, but the BG is a bit distracting. The head angle is also tough as he's not looking anywhere towards you.

Arthur Morris
10-03-2018, 09:03 AM
This one does zip for me. The whitewash alone is an image wrecker. I don;t like the pose and the image looks totally flat to me. Yes to a possible YELLOW cast and a less than ideal head angle.

I do like the great view of the feet.

with love, artie