PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Heron in the rain

gail bisson
09-30-2018, 04:42 PM
I took this in Costa Rica in January 2017. The guy I had hired to take me on the river thought I was nuts to go out on this day in the pouring rain!
Shot as a vertical and is full frame.
1 DX 600mm
ISO 2500 SS 1/200 F 5.6
Hand held from a boat
Processed in LR 5 and CS6. Nothing added or cloned.
Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks,
Gail

John Mack
09-30-2018, 04:58 PM
This is great love the extra element the rain brings. The composition is quite nice. Good background. If its raining or snowing i will be out there shooting.

Daniel Cadieux
09-30-2018, 06:17 PM
How cool is that plumage! Awesome details, and yes, the train adds a lot. I especially like the the drops that bounced off behind the head. There is one drop, however, that I would remove: the one directly at the tip of the bill. I also get the feeling the darks or midtones could go a touch deeper. All-in-all a high-impact image. Super!

Juan Tolentino
09-30-2018, 07:08 PM
Great image Gail, great call to go out in the rain (I bet this is not a very common image!!). Agree with Dan about the color depth, looks like you need to clear the haze caused by the rain, I would try the dehaze slider on the Adobe Camera RAW filter in PS and see if you like the results. I'm wondering why you posted the image so small?? TFS

annmpacheco
09-30-2018, 07:13 PM
Fancy neck feathers and I love the raindrops on and off the bird! I like your choice of ss to pronounce the falling rain. I agree w Dan, browns could be richer. I also like the bits of green. Wonderful HA, pretty cool Heron, good for you chasing birds in the rain!

Bill Dix
09-30-2018, 08:24 PM
Wonderful image. Agree with above comments. At least your guide didn't refuse to take you out. Well done!

Alex Becker
09-30-2018, 08:38 PM
This is really cool. I agree with the above comments. I really love how the rain drops going off the head are visibly angled. I think a bit more contrast on the head would add. TFS

Tim Foltz
09-30-2018, 11:33 PM
Gail, very nice subject and environment, nice details and HA, I would jut add a bit more contrast.

-Tim

Mike Poole
10-01-2018, 09:48 AM
Superb image Gail, great looking bird with a nice head angle, and the falling rain really adds to the shot

Mike

Joseph Przybyla
10-01-2018, 10:06 AM
Quite nice, love the plumage on the bird... very distinctive. I agree on trying the Dehaze Filter in either ACR or Lightroom, it sometimes does wonder. Thank you for sharing.

Isaac Grant
10-01-2018, 10:15 AM
Very pretty Gail. Always good to be out in the elements and to make images that those who stay dry when in the field don't get to make. I like the composition very much. I agree that the shot needs more blacks in the neutrals and the blacks. You also need to warm it up a bit. As presented I don't get the feel of the lush greenery that these birds live in.

gail bisson
10-01-2018, 04:03 PM
Thank you all for your comments.
The reason this is posted so small is that I processed this back in Feb 2017, before we had the image size increase. I did not have access to the original file as I am at the cottage with no access to my external hard drive.
Even worse, is that I have a better processed one with all of the above issues addressed because I submitted it to BPOTY and the image made the finals! Again, I did not have access to the better processed image. My very bad...I just wanted to post an image
Gail

Robert Kimbrell
10-01-2018, 05:51 PM
Quite a unique image. I love it. The rain adds so much. I also wonder if it could go slightly darker. What lens did you use?

annmpacheco
10-01-2018, 06:08 PM
Hey Gail,
congrats on this image being chosen in the finals for BPOTY, quite an accomplishment and a gorgeous image. Please repost when you can!

David Salem
10-01-2018, 09:01 PM
These guys are so cool and I also got a chance to shoot them in CR. That feather pattern is stunning. I like the pose and the rain adds to the overall scene. Yes to a few more points of black but otherwise a real nice frame. Congrats on the finals too!! Well done Gail

Arthur Morris
10-03-2018, 09:13 AM
I love everything about this one, especially the rain. Did you use a rain cover or did the boat have a top?

with love, artie

gail bisson
10-03-2018, 01:54 PM
Quite a unique image. I love it. The rain adds so much. I also wonder if it could go slightly darker. What lens did you use?
Hi Robert, I used my 600mm!

gail bisson
10-03-2018, 01:54 PM
I love everything about this one, especially the rain. Did you use a rain cover or did the boat have a top?

with love, artie
Hi artie,
I used a rain cover!

Arthur Morris
10-03-2018, 02:27 PM
Thanks. Which one?

a

gail bisson
10-03-2018, 04:57 PM
Thanks. Which one?

a
The very cheap Rainsleeve by OpTech USA! $11.oo. I have an expensive one but it is a pain in the butt to put on...
Gail

Arthur Morris
10-03-2018, 05:25 PM
Thanks and :S3:

a

Jim Crosswell
10-03-2018, 06:14 PM
Excellent image Gail. These Herons can be very cooperative or skittish. I looks like you had a tolerant one. I like the composition, rain, IQ and browns in the BG compliment the bird well.