PDA

View Full Version : short eared owl

annmpacheco
09-29-2018, 05:22 PM
Taken last March during the final days before the shorties headed North. I am already looking forward to their arrival for the winter along with the harriers. I used my 2X's tc for this shot as they usually stay too far away.

1Dx
1200mm
ISO 800
f 8
1/2000

Colin Driscoll
09-29-2018, 05:30 PM
I wonder why it nearly always takes 20 - 30 views before a comment is placed, so here's bucking that trend. Lovely shot, beautiful wing spread, soft light and background. Good focus. My only wish would be to see some of the other eye.

Robert Kimbrell
09-29-2018, 05:42 PM
A stunning image Ann, Beautiful light and background. The image looks beautifully processed. Fantastic you captured this with a 2x.

gail bisson
09-29-2018, 06:23 PM
This is a great frame Ann! Love the BG and the way the diagonal lines in the BG mimic the line of owl's body.
The image has a lovely painterly feel to it.
Well done!
Gail

Joseph Przybyla
09-29-2018, 07:19 PM
Lovely image, if you had not mentioned the 2x I would not have know. Nice post processing, no nits from me. Thank you for sharing, Ann.

Paul Burdett
09-29-2018, 07:36 PM
Hi Ann. Another impressive photo from you! Love the dynamic diagonal pose, sharpness, lighting and BG colours that compliment the bird. I too would have liked to see the other eye. Cheers.

Isaac Grant
09-29-2018, 10:03 PM
Man that owl just jumps off the screen with those piercing yellow eyes and your excellent processing. I agree with Gail that the image looks like a painting and I love the lines as well. I'd be thrilled to have a frame like this of a Short-eared Owl. Hopefully we will get a chance to shoot them together this winter.

arash_hazeghi
09-30-2018, 02:02 AM
nice frame of the shortie, I was lucky I got about 3000 frames of the shorties late in 2016 in Vancouver. The colors are a bit muted and cold for this bird, it could benefit from warming up the WB as selectively sharpening the head a bit. I agree it would have been ideal if we could see the other eye, with patience you will get frames with the owl coming right at you...
TFS

Stu Bowie
09-30-2018, 11:29 AM
Hi Ann, excellent angled flight pose here, and that eye really pops from both the face and the entire image. Before reading any comments, Gail comment nailed it with regards to the angled flight pose and the lines in the BG. Good DOF on the Owl. Well captured.

Jonathan Ashton
09-30-2018, 02:48 PM
Wow that's well focused, lovely detail I like the composition, if I get any as good as that this year I will be well pleased.

John Mack
09-30-2018, 05:05 PM
Great frame. Nice strong diagonal pose on the bird. Love that eye and that background.

Daniel Cadieux
09-30-2018, 06:48 PM
Nothing much to add, just an all-around great frame. I agree with Arash in warming up the WB at tad. I'm rather jealous of this image!

annmpacheco
09-30-2018, 06:58 PM
Thank you all for your kind comments... I have selectively sharpened the head and added 6 points warmth... WDYT?

Alex Becker
09-30-2018, 08:31 PM
Awesome Ann. I had the same thoughts re: some extra sharpening and the RP is great. The swept grasses and pose is really nice. I'd love a shot like this. We get them every year at a local park but I haven't been lucky enough to have one come remotely close enough for a photo yet. Looks great with the 2x. TFS

Mike Poole
10-01-2018, 09:54 AM
Razor sharp Ann, great work with the 2x. Nicely presented, a definite winner

Mike

David Salem
10-01-2018, 09:12 PM
WOW!!!! And What the F%$#!! One of my favorites of yours!!!! That repost is a true Rockstar!! I am so proud of you:w3

arash_hazeghi
10-01-2018, 11:29 PM
Repost much better!

Arthur Morris
10-03-2018, 09:22 AM
I like both versions of this fabulous image. It is very sharp with or without the 2X but totally astounding as a flight shot with it ... I love the diagonal as well. And of course that eye. One eye is enough for me.

May we assume that you were on a tripod?

with love, a

annmpacheco
10-03-2018, 11:14 AM
I like both versions of this fabulous image. It is very sharp with or without the 2X but totally astounding as a flight shot with it ... I love the diagonal as well. And of course that eye. One eye is enough for me.

May we assume that you were on a tripod?

with love, a

Thank you Artie, with the 2x's being on the tripod, it didn't give me the tracking I needed, (slower) so handheld. The SEO's were far away and I would wait for them to come in closer then fire away. I have some "guns!" I have some light weights around the house and it is a habit of mine to keep the strength as i am older and on the petite side. However, game changer with the new 600mmIII... we shall see if i decide thats right for me!

Arthur Morris
10-03-2018, 11:41 AM
That is astonishing :) If you do go for the new lens, consider using my B&H link.

a

Walker Noe
10-05-2018, 09:43 PM
Absolutely killer! I love owls and this is definitely no exception!