PDA

View Full Version : Grey Heron

David Cowling
09-28-2018, 09:45 AM
This image taken 10 mins after sunrise in heavy shade. I stalked this bird and knew that it would take off when I was about 20ft away so was ready for it hence the shutter speed and high ISO.

Canon 5D Mk4. Canon 400mm 5.6 L

1/1250. F8. ISO 12800. Processed in LR and PS6. Added canvas all round and cropped for composition. Carried out noise reduction with Nik Define 2.

Mike Poole
09-28-2018, 11:18 AM
You did well in those conditions David and made the right choice pushing the ISO. I still think another round of NR to the BG won't go amiss though.

The flat wing position won't be to everyones taste, but it works ok here with all the streamlined look

Mike

Dorian Anderson
09-28-2018, 12:09 PM
I would have never shot this frame because of the high iso required, but the result is decent considering. Bird is really tight in frame so wider crop would be better, if you can. That would also help hide the noise issue.

Arthur Morris
09-28-2018, 02:12 PM
Me thinks that this is a spectacular image with a nice dorsal view. I love the pink bottoms of the feet.

Would you be so kind as to post a jpeg that represents the original capture and share the AF info with us as well: what AF mode and what AF point where on the bird?

thanks with love, artie

David Cowling
09-29-2018, 02:59 AM
Me thinks that this is a spectacular image with a nice dorsal view. I love the pink bottoms of the feet.

Would you be so kind as to post a jpeg that represents the original capture and share the AF info with us as well: what AF mode and what AF point where on the bird?

thanks with love, artie

Thanks Mike, Dorian and Artie. The AF point was on the root of the left wing just behind the head. AF info- Ai servo. High speed continuous. Single point. Case3 Tracking Sensitivity -2 Accel/Decel 0. First image priority Focus. Second Image Priority +1.The jpeg is as straight from the camera no adjustments carried out.177873

Arthur Morris
09-29-2018, 04:50 AM
Many thanks David. You did a good job with the background. Leaving a bit of the leaf detail from the center of the frame right above the bird and then spreading that around might have been nice too. As some folks said, the original post is a bit tight on all but the bottom (as you have little or no room there).

Do you have a copy of DPP 4 on you computer?

with love, artie

David Cowling
09-29-2018, 05:39 AM
Hi Artie. Yes I have DPP4 but don't have the updated settings for the 5D Mk4. I have emailed Arash but he hasn't got back to me yet.

Arthur Morris
09-29-2018, 06:42 AM
Thanks David. I wanted you to know that DPP 4 will show the selected (and sometimes the active) AF point. But I just realized that you probably know that already :(

with love, artie

John Mack
09-29-2018, 08:17 AM
Nice to see a high ISO over here. The dark background as nice. The bird is too tight in the frame. The dorsal view is nice.

Stu Bowie
09-30-2018, 11:23 AM
Hi David, we have a great view of the top side, and great view of the feet with those large toes. Noise mentioned and I notice that when you were cleaning up the water BG below the Heron, there are visible repeated clone marks of what look like a copy of the wing tips. If one is using the clone tool, always try and select areas from different parts of the BG, as long as it looks natural.