PDA

View Full Version : First snows

Steve Kaluski
09-28-2018, 03:47 AM
Just back from 16 days hiking, walking and a bit of climbing in Switzerland, one part I know very well, the Juagfrau region, but I have never been to Zermatt and the mighty Matterhorn.

This was taken last Monday, a lovely Autumnal day in the village, but higher up the weather changed to the point where the first falls of snow were descending upon us. Fortunately we were prepared and a quick change provided all that we needed. This was taken looking across to the Wetterhorn peaking above the cloud with a sprinkling/dusting of the first snows.

Steve

Subject: The Wetterhorn - first snows
Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
Lens: 100-400f/5.6 MKII HH
Exposure: 1/800s at f/8 ISO2500 +1EV
Original format: Landscape, almost FF
Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2018

David Cowling
09-28-2018, 10:04 AM
A sign of things to come Steve. I like the composition with the smaller pinnacles on the left leading the eye to the main peak. The cloud at the bottom gives the image a nice base to sit on. Good mono conversion but I imagine there would not have been a lot of colour anyway.

Steve Kaluski
09-28-2018, 10:59 AM
Good mono conversion but I imagine there would not have been a lot of colour anyway.

Thanks David, but it is in 'colour' :S3:, but as you say, not much, more minimal. Had thought about making it a real 'hard/contrasty mono' for the punch, may still do so. Good to stretch the legs and shoot something not on two or four legs for a change. :bg3:

Cheers
Steve

David Cowling
09-28-2018, 11:02 AM
Oops Sorry!!

Steve Kaluski
09-28-2018, 11:05 AM
Oops Sorry!!

No worries David, as you said - it's minimal. :bg3:

Andrew McLachlan
09-28-2018, 12:34 PM
Wonderful details here Steve! Love the way clouds create an arc like shape to the mountain peaks!

Don Railton
09-30-2018, 12:46 AM
Hi Steve..

Always love to see your images and this is no exception, what a wonderful mountain scene! What I like most is the composition with the cloud and sky providing the soft tonal edges to the image and the wispy edges over the rocks which takes me right back into when i was climbing in NZ.... What I like least is the glossy sheen on the rocks of the highest peak, but I am pretty sure you could address this if you felt the same....and I for one would like to see the 'punchy' edition..

Regards

DON

Morkel Erasmus
10-07-2018, 06:03 PM
A really nice take here, Steve - minimalism, texture, mood
So often we tend to think of landscapes as wide-angle matters, when a telephoto landscape can be just as engaging.