PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Mallard Drake

David Cowling
09-23-2018, 12:13 PM
Many months since last posting here due to a worn out arthritic hip reducing my ability to walk more than a few yards. I now have a new hip and a new camera and am raring to go.

Today was overcast and dark so I decided to take my newly acquired 5D Mk4 to the local broad (lake) to assess the high ISO performance. I set the shutter speed to 1/1600, the aperture was f8 and I used auto ISO + exposure compensation giving an ISO of 12800. A very obliging duck allowed me to take his picture. The file was processed in LR and PS6. Exposure was well to the right so I was able to bring back the exposure slider about a stop. A small amount of noise reduction and sharpening was applied. I am well pleased with the result of the image at this ISO setting but would value the advice and comments of some of the more expert members. PS It is not my intention to use such high ISO settings as a general rule

Canon 5D Mk4. Canon 400mm f5.6 lens. Canon 1.4 TC Mk2

annmpacheco
09-23-2018, 05:47 PM
Hi David, curious as to how you handled noise reduction? Overall, your image has very little noise, well done! I also have the 5DMk4 and love it... I would suggest giving the duck more canvas on the left side. Hope you are feeling better and stronger, with that new camera, it'll get you moving more with pleasure! TFS

Arthur Morris
09-23-2018, 06:56 PM
I love it as framed. I love that the head is forward in the frame to balance the plant behind. The noise looks fine. Why hybrid rather than molting?

with love, artie

David Cowling
09-24-2018, 01:07 PM
Quite correct Artie. It is a mallard moulting. We get lots of hybrids here and I thought this was one due to the colouring.

Thanks Ann. I think the lack of noise was probably because I exposed well to the right and so was able to bring the exposure back in post production. I carried out global noise reduction with Define 2, just pushed the button and let it happen. I forgot to mention that I did extra noise reduction on the eye.

Alex Becker
09-24-2018, 07:36 PM
As mentioned looks pretty sweet for 12800 ISO! I like the pose and BG. I think the image could be warmed up a bit. The moulting looks cool. TFS

David Cowling
09-25-2018, 06:16 AM
Thanks Alex. I will try warming it up a bit and see how it looks.