PDA

View Full Version : Wasp Mimic

Andrew McLachlan
09-11-2018, 09:52 AM

I don't typically photograph too many insects but when I was in Peru last year there were so many fascinating opportunities I could not resist. Late one night we visited a roadside construction site that had powerful construction lights on and the shear number and varieties of insects attracted to the lights was astounding. I originally thought that this was some type of moth however, I do believe that it is a species of moth that mimics wasps. If anybody knows the exact species name I would greatly appreciate knowing. I have found identifying the insects I photographed in the rainforest to be a real challenge.

http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2018/08/11/photographing-perus-amazonian-rainforest-with-andrew-mclachlan/

Nikon D500
Nikon 100mm Micro Lens
ISO 100
f22 at 1/60 sec
Nikon SB400 Speedlight on a Wimberley F-2 Macro Bracket

John Mack
09-11-2018, 06:21 PM
Sure does look like a wasp/moth hybrid. Like that you included the vegetation in the background instead of just a solid black background.

David Cowling
09-12-2018, 05:37 AM
Great detail on this fascinating critter. Image looks just a tad dark on my monitor. I like the fact that you have positioned the insect in the space between the leaves. Good DOF from the f22 aperture setting.

Ravi Hirekatur
09-12-2018, 10:46 AM
Lovely image. Great details. very sharp. the grass blades nicely frame the subject rather than distracting.

Jonathan Ashton
09-14-2018, 04:54 AM
Very nicely presented, I like the moth in habitat style presentation. The subject is very sharp and well detailed. The colours look just a little heavy or dense to me. Pegging 1/4 and 1/2 tones whilst raising 3/4 tones just a fraction I think helps WDYT?

Allen Sparks
09-15-2018, 12:10 PM
Hi Andrew,
Very interesting subject and very well captured. I like the framing of the vegetation and the detail of the filaments on the perch. Nice and sharp. Well done.
Allen

Andrew McLachlan
09-16-2018, 05:12 PM
Thanks so much for the comments folks, much appreciated!

Jonathan...I will try playing around with your suggestion to see what I come up with.