PDA

View Full Version : Theme Gannet

Mike Poole
09-07-2018, 05:49 AM

Whilst out with Artie group back in June, one of the participants asked me to take her down to the Staple Newk area for some flight shots whilst Artie was doing some instructing. As we got there I noticed the birds were all doing a circular pattern before attempting landing, going past us, then circling back towards the light. It was just a case of getting one in close with the tail feathers splayed out - this one must have heard me

Canon 1dx
500mm f4
1/3200th f6.3
ISO 500

Mike

Joseph Przybyla
09-07-2018, 08:38 AM
Nice topside view, detail looks good, good background. Blacks and whites look good, maybe the whites could go higher but I hesitate to comment much on that because I am not familiar with the bird and have not worked on the image. Thank you for sharing, Mike.

Isaac Grant
09-07-2018, 10:40 AM
Sweet pose here with the fully outstretched wings and flared tail. Love the nice rich colors and exposure looks great. In a perfect world I wish the head was angled a few degrees towards us.

annmpacheco
09-07-2018, 12:04 PM
What a beauty Mike, lovely, and sure a topper would be a slight head turn, but what a fine image!

Jim Crosswell
09-07-2018, 12:06 PM
Excellent image Mike! I like the details, IQ, topside view, composition and blue BG matches the eye nicely.

John Mack
09-07-2018, 07:43 PM
Very nice. Tack sharp with goo detail. Love that blue water background. A little more room behind the bird would be nice.

Arthur Morris
09-08-2018, 05:05 AM
Nice one Mike. It was great meeting you. Your help was much needed and much appreciated! Killer top shot pose. Isaac and Ann nailed the need for just a bit more head turn toward you. And count me in with Joe in feeling that some of the white feathers are greyed out a bit. Love the typical Benton blue-water BKGR. Where is Staple Newk? Is that the right end of the park?

with love, artie

ps: what is a staple?

Daniel Cadieux
09-08-2018, 06:26 AM
That blue BG looks great! I love the details and vertical composition. Yes to the head turn, not much needed, but very sweet nonetheless.

Mike Poole
09-08-2018, 06:58 AM
Nice one Mike. It was great meeting you. Your help was much needed and much appreciated! Killer top shot pose. Isaac and Ann nailed the need for just a bit more head turn toward you. And count me in with Joe in feeling that some of the white feathers are greyed out a bit. Love the typical Benton blue-water BKGR. Where is Staple Newk? Is that the right end of the park?

with love, artie

ps: what is a staple?Cheers Artie, nice to see how you run the IPTs

Staple Newk is the furthest area to the right where the last viewing point is, next to the outcrop full of nesting birds. As for the name - no ideas!

Points noted on the image.

I see you fancy going back for the kites next year. As you all drove off there was a mass influx and they all came down together. It might be worth going a bit later in the day next time if the forecast suggests and if we give them a bit more space they seemed more relaxed.

Mike

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Mike Poole
09-08-2018, 07:00 AM
Thanks everyone, all points noted

Mike

gail bisson
09-10-2018, 06:37 AM
I am late to the party here so have little to contribute except to say lovely image, great exposure and great crop.
Gail