PDA

View Full Version : Morning Yoga exercise

Jay Shah
09-05-2018, 03:44 AM
I seldom opt for B&W images. But I think early morning low light, dry grass, cheetah cub patterns and tractor would work better in B&W. Do comment on both technical and creative aspects of the image. Image was shot at Samburu Nature reserve

Nikon D500, Tamron 70-200 mm f2.8 @155 mm
1/1600 s, f5.6, ISO 2800

Susan Smitha
09-05-2018, 06:03 AM
You have captured a good shot. but the picture looks rough. I would increase the smoothness of this photo.

Marc Mol
09-05-2018, 06:45 AM
One of the results with over use of the dodge/burn tool is that it's amplified in a B&W, and it shows clearly here in the cheetah's body, so not working for me here at all I have to say sorry Jay.

A fun scene all the same, would like to see a colour version.

TFS

haseeb badar
09-05-2018, 07:02 AM
Hi Jay -- I am in complete agreement with what Marc has to say. Not working for me either , Sorry .

TFS !

Gabriela Plesea
09-05-2018, 12:05 PM
Dear Jay,

A fun and interesting capture and I quite like the framing, just wish you had a tad more at the top. This image would work very well as part of a story sequence. B&W conversion a good choice IMO, it adds a more dramatic feel overall.

What poses a bit of a problem here for me is the busy BG, unfortunately the subject tends to get lost a little. Overall image looks a little over processed and rather crunchy, could you allow us to see the colour version if you have it?

I cannot help but notice your signature at the bottom of the frame - perhaps you could go smaller in the future, it is a bit overwhelming. Techs look about right, don't think you could have gone higher with ISO as the D500 has its limitations.

Thank you so much for sharing, much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Steve Kaluski
09-05-2018, 12:22 PM
Hi Jay, Marc has summed things up well, it's just too processed with everything bar the 'kitchen sink', so it's a NO from me too.

If however you want to explore this type/style more, then I would suggest you post in the OOTB forum which would I feel, be more suitable and where you can have a different type of feedback.

TFS
Steve

John Mack
09-05-2018, 05:49 PM
Never have seen a cheetah on a tractor, pretty neat. More room at the top would be nice.

Jay Shah
09-05-2018, 11:20 PM
Thank you all - John, Steve,Gabriela,Haseeb,Mark,Susan. It takes effort and care to provide critical feedback, so greatly appreciated.
I do see the flaws mentioned now, which I did not see earlier. So I think on a subconscious level it is working towards developing critical eye. Early start to prepare for the next month theme. Cheers!

PS: I will be posting later today colored version from the same sequence. I like this image even better because of the pose, light and less distracting BG.

Rachel Hollander
09-06-2018, 06:44 AM
Hi Jay - I agree with the above but wanted to add that learning the critique process is a valuable tool in improving your photography.

Looking forward to seeing the color version.

TFS,
Rachel

Basil Dardagan
09-06-2018, 09:46 AM
It does look overprocessed however that should be easy to correct

Jay Shah
09-07-2018, 05:14 AM
Yes, absolutely agree. Thanks Rachel.