PDA

View Full Version : Little Bee-Eater

Jay Shah
09-01-2018, 01:53 AM
Hello all. Have not posted here in quite awhile as I did two safaris this year so have been more active in wildlife forum. I had seen image of this bee-eater and I was very keen to photgraph this cute, colorful fellow. Gladly, my wish was granted. Image was shot at Samburu Nature Reserve, Kenya.

Nikon D850 Nikon 600 mm F4, 1/2500 s, f8, ISO 2000.

Steve Kaluski
09-01-2018, 11:36 AM
Hi Jay, if you could, moving more to the right would have meant that the dominate branch did not cover the bird and so the 'portrait' would have been more pleasing to the eye. IMHO Nice and colourful with sharpness, think you could have gone to 1/1600, but no problem for the D850 on the ISO. Personally I would like a sliver more on the LHS and dropped the whole frame down a tad. Is this FF on the height?

Image was shot at Samburu Nature Reserve, Kenya.

Not Larsens by chance?? :S3:

TFS
Steve

Arthur Morris
09-01-2018, 06:35 PM
Sharp focus. Killer beautiful bird. Sweet light. But it would be hard to imagine a worse place for the bird to perch. That stick is U_G_L_Y. In general, anything that sticks out in front of the bird will be an out-of-focus image wrecker :(

with love, artie

ps: I do like the light green halo background ...

Jay Shah
09-01-2018, 09:12 PM
Thanks Artie for encouraging words. Could not agree more with that stick. I too hate perch dividing the bird body and my favourite position is shooting birds from behind and hoping they will look back at the camera, which they often do when they hear the shutter clicking.

gail bisson
09-02-2018, 09:37 AM
I love the bird and the BG , Jay, but have to agree that the OOF perch really hurts the image.
I would also smooth out the blunt end of the white OOF branch between the tail and the perch,
Gail

Jay Shah
09-05-2018, 03:11 AM
Hi Steve, problem was not knowing where to position but bird being skittish. It is not FF on height, so what you suggested can be done. Will try that out. Not Larsens.

Susan Smitha
09-05-2018, 06:25 AM
The shot is nice. It would be great if you move the camera more to the right. otherwise good shot.

William Dickson
09-05-2018, 03:39 PM
Its a pity about that OOF branch Jay. The colours and detail on the head are amazing

Will