PDA

View Full Version : High Key Lesser Yellowlegs

gail bisson
08-31-2018, 07:06 PM
I am not a fan of high key and every time I try to get such an image I do not like it...until now.
I took this image on a very foggy morning in Liverpool, Nova Scotia.
Canon 1DX 600mm and 1.4x
ISO 1600 SS 1/640 F 5.6
Small crop (~ 85% FF), nothing added or cloned and processed in Classic LR CC then off to Photoshop CC for levels and some NR and sharpening.
Comments and critiques always learned from and appreciated with thanks,
Gail

Bill Dix
08-31-2018, 08:33 PM
I often like high-key, and I certainly like this one. The area of color above the bird is a bit distracting, and might be toned down some (but not eliminated). I love the dynamic pose.

Daniel Cadieux
09-01-2018, 02:03 PM
I'm a fan of well done high key images, and I love creating them myself. This one looks good overall, but that large dark BG element skimming the top of the head was rather unfortunate. The walking pose is good, as are the details and composition.

gail bisson
09-01-2018, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the good critiques Bill and Daniel.
I guess this is not as nice as I thought! I personally love the yellow band across the top but accept that this is not to everyone's taste!
Gail

Arthur Morris
09-01-2018, 06:38 PM
Love the high key look and the raised foot and the loverly juvie LYL. Everyone above identified the big problem --the brown area right above the head. I do like the stuff by the bird's feet however.

with love, artie

John Mack
09-01-2018, 07:56 PM
Nice pose and composition. The details look very good. I don't mind the background.

Jay Shah
09-01-2018, 09:15 PM
Gail, I share your views on high-key, as they are tougher to pull through. But you did here a good job.

gail bisson
09-02-2018, 09:32 AM
I redid this image and cloned out the kelp around the head and dodged the remaining kelp. (but I still like the OP!)
PS. I noticed that I put theme in front of this post but that is an error. Not really a white bird!