View Full Version : Eider

William Dickson
08-29-2018, 04:44 PM
Canon 1DX
f/4 500mm with 1.4
f/6.3
1/3200
ISO 640

This is one from the shore in my hometown, sitting in amongst the rocks at low tide. Late evening light.

Will

annmpacheco
08-29-2018, 07:48 PM
Super nice Will, so streamlined, so sharp and love the down stroked wings. A tricky duck to expose but you did so well here! TFS

Arthur Morris
08-30-2018, 09:02 AM
Beautiful from where I sit. SH is right on and the light is sweet. It look as if it might need just a bit of CCW rotation. Try putting the Ruler Tool on the horizon and going Image > Image Rotation > Arbitrary. I use shortcuts for those as detailed in DB II (http://birdsasart-shop.com/the-birds-as-art-current-workflow-e-guide-digital-basics-ii/).

with love, artie

Arthur Morris
08-30-2018, 09:02 AM
ps: tripod or hand held?

William Dickson
08-30-2018, 12:05 PM
Thanks for that Ann.

Thanks Artie, I always used the straightener on the Crop Tool. I'll have to remember the Ruler Tool, never used it before for horizons...thanks for that. This is handheld, I was in amongst different sized large rocks, and moving all the time, as the tide was coming in, so never bothered about the tripod. I must use it more often, as my left shoulder is injured, with hand holding. I bought a new tripod and gimbal earlier this year, as I knew my shoulder was getting worse, but I find it easier to lock onto the bird when in flight, using handheld. I'll think I'll have to practice more often with the tripod.

Will

Dorian Anderson
08-30-2018, 07:25 PM
Beautiful frame of this sea duck. I like the two-toned and soft BG as that is how you see them winging along the coast. Light and exposure are really nice. Needs 1-2 degrees CCW, as noted.

William Dickson
08-31-2018, 01:59 PM
Beautiful frame of this sea duck. I like the two-toned and soft BG as that is how you see them winging along the coast. Light and exposure are really nice. Needs 1-2 degrees CCW, as noted.

Thanks Dorian, much appreciated