PDA

View Full Version : The Approach (Peregrine Falcons)

Tim Foltz
08-29-2018, 01:25 AM
Canon IDX • 700 mm • 1/1600 • f/8 • ISO 500 • handheld • manual

This is from last year during mating season.
I had my eye on the female sunning herself when I saw a flash out of the corner of my eye as the male dove down cliffside and swooped up from below behind the female.
I was able to get the whole mating sequence from start to finish.

Thanks for looking.

-Tim

Ian McLachlan
08-29-2018, 03:21 AM
This is just about perfect .Eye light in the female as well .The mating season down here is just starting so this is something to strive for ! Does the colour on the birds indicate that they are young? Can I ask whether you would you have the shutter speed under 1/2000th normally or were you keeping the iso down for quality on the female when her friend turned up. The whole scene is beautifully balanced,and for colour as well. If its not cropped how do you get so close .Hide?

Arthur Morris
08-29-2018, 09:01 AM
Spectacular. I'd love to see some of the mating images. Did you mean that you saw a flare or a flash? With the light from the left you might consider opening up the female's face a bit.

with love, artie

Tim Foltz
08-29-2018, 01:27 PM
Thanks so much Artie for catching the "flaw" in my typo :bg3:
here is a link to the entire 13 shot sequence https://www.timfoltzphotography.com/Nature/SERIES-SHOTS/i-5ntNrrb/A

-Tim

Tim Foltz
08-29-2018, 01:34 PM
This is just about perfect .Eye light in the female as well .The mating season down here is just starting so this is something to strive for ! Does the colour on the birds indicate that they are young? Can I ask whether you would you have the shutter speed under 1/2000th normally or were you keeping the iso down for quality on the female when her friend turned up. The whole scene is beautifully balanced,and for colour as well. If its not cropped how do you get so close .Hide?

Thanks for your comment Ian, yes the shutter speed was down because the female was perched. The image is cropped a bit no hide, these peregrines nest cliffside along the coast.

-Tim

Arthur Morris
08-29-2018, 02:20 PM
Thanks so much Artie for catching the "flaw" in my typo :bg3:
here is a link to the entire 13 shot sequence https://www.timfoltzphotography.com/Nature/SERIES-SHOTS/i-5ntNrrb/A

-Tim

Hi Tim,

YAW and thanks for the link; the sequence is amazing. I love the light on the female's face in #2. #s 5 & 10 are my favorites of the deed.

Was this a pure 13-frame sequence or the best 13 of a longer sequence?

with love, artie

Tim Foltz
08-29-2018, 02:26 PM
Hi Tim,

YAW and thanks for the link; the sequence is amazing. I love the light on the female's face in #2. #s 5 & 10 are my favorites of the deed.

Was this a pure 13-frame sequence or the best 13 of a longer sequence?

with love, artie

Thanks Artie, this was a "best of" sequence, I cherry picked the set, there were a few similar frames.

-Tim

William Dickson
08-29-2018, 03:42 PM
Looking real good Tim. Fab capture. Nice feather details and good HA's. I like the contrasty look to the frame. A shot most on here would love to capture. Very well done.

Will

Daniel Cadieux
08-29-2018, 04:23 PM
Pretty cool opportunity! I checked out the link, and #5 is my favorite. Great light. Maybe a bit of NR to the BG, but all else is A-OK to me. Oh, perhaps I'd clean up some of the whitewash at right, but no biggie.

annmpacheco
08-29-2018, 04:36 PM
Way to go Tim, this is gorgeous and what a thrill. I was also fortunate to capture peregrine's mating, got the entire sequence as well... Incoming, mating, leaving... You had much better light, well done, congrats!

Arthur Morris
08-29-2018, 07:08 PM
Thanks Artie, this was a "best of" sequence, I cherry picked the set, there were a few similar frames.

-Tim

Thanks Tim, I was think in that the whole thing had to take more than 3 seconds ...

with love, artie

Michael Thompson
08-30-2018, 09:40 AM
excellent action, light image, quality, setting, background, timing, etc, you got a gem here!

Krishna Prasad kotti
08-30-2018, 03:59 PM
Amazing shots. I love the sequence a lot.

Thanks for sharing.