PDA

View Full Version : Many-striped Canastero - Colombia

Dorian Anderson
08-29-2018, 12:35 AM
Here's another species from the Colombian Páramo, the Many-striped Canastero.
This bird is another Furnarid family member (recall the Streaked Tuftedcheek
from a few days ago).

This guy responded to a bit of playback on a rainy morning at Sumapaz National
Park high above Bogotá (~11,000 feet). This was the last keeper from my 7
weeks in the country.

The perch is a dead frailejon, a common paramo plant. The second image shows
several flowering frailejones in the foreground.

Canon 500mm f/4 IS v1 + 1.4x III one EOS 5D Mark IV
1/800 at f/5.6, ISO 1250, handheld
Processed in LR CC

All input welcome - complimentary or critical. It's really helpful to get this input!

Dorian Anderson
08-29-2018, 12:36 AM
Flowering frailejones!

Tim Foltz
08-29-2018, 01:27 AM
Dorian, Great HA, singing pose, BG and colors, very unique perch. Looks like a stack of vanilla beans :bg3:

-Tim

Arthur Morris
08-29-2018, 09:03 AM
Well done with an excellent image design. All the rest spot on.

with love, artie

John Mack
08-29-2018, 02:52 PM
Really neat perch. Nice singing pose on the bird. Great background. Really enjoy viewing these images from your trip.

William Dickson
08-29-2018, 03:45 PM
Love this one Dorian. Love the detail and singing pose on the bird. On first looking I thought the perch was too much, but on looking longer I really like it. Good work.

Will

Dorian Anderson
08-29-2018, 04:36 PM
Love this one Dorian. Love the detail and singing pose on the bird. On first looking I thought the perch was too much, but on looking longer I really like it. Good work.

Will

Thanks Will. And that's exactly what I thought about the perch. I came around when I realized the plant suggests the paramo habitat of the bird.

Daniel Cadieux
08-29-2018, 04:50 PM
I love the bird and BG. The perch looks neat, but I must admit that I find too much of it OOF. If this is full-frame, did you take some horizontals as well? This would cut out about half of the perch and add that to the beautiful BG, and help IMO. Thanks for sahring these way cool birds with us these past few weeks, I've thoroughly enjoyed the series!

Dorian Anderson
08-29-2018, 05:17 PM
I love the bird and BG. The perch looks neat, but I must admit that I find too much of it OOF. If this is full-frame, did you take some horizontals as well? This would cut out about half of the perch and add that to the beautiful BG, and help IMO. Thanks for sahring these way cool birds with us these past few weeks, I've thoroughly enjoyed the series!

As requested.

Dorian Anderson
08-29-2018, 05:24 PM
Then there's this option, the 10x8 to minimize the OOF effects while still going vertical.
Everyone is going to prefer something different! It's rare that I get a shot where more
than one viable crop actually presents.....