PDA

View Full Version : Theme Razorbill

Alex Becker
08-28-2018, 09:37 PM
Hi all,

Hoping to sneak a couple in last minute for the theme -- a razorbill from Farne Islands. Background is the ocean. Small crop. Wish the rest of the beak was in focus, but sadly didn't get a perfect parallel turn.

Camera: Nikon D500
Lens: 300 PF f/4
Specs: 1/2000 ISO 1600 f/6.3

Thanks for looking and commenting on prior posts!
Alex

Victor Banerjee
08-28-2018, 11:08 PM
Hi Alex,
Nice pose of the subject. I would like the image even more if the beak is also in focus.
-Victor

Dorian Anderson
08-29-2018, 12:37 AM
This is a wonderful look at the eye. That iris is incredible. I too wish the whole beak was in focus, but it's still a pretty sweet shot.

Arthur Morris
08-29-2018, 09:07 AM
Pretty darned nice. With all that shutter speed your surely could have stopped down more than a bit. Otherwise, this a a perfect example of the advantages of a two or three degree head turn toward you, especially for tight head shots where d-o-f is at a premium. That puts the bill more on the same plane as the eye.

with love, artie

Bill Dix
08-29-2018, 10:00 AM
Good head shot, with great look at the eye which is often hard to see in this species. Agree with your self-critique.

John Mack
08-29-2018, 02:53 PM
That eye looks really cool. Image looks to be spot on nice detail in the blacks and whites. The grey background compliments the bird very well.

William Dickson
08-29-2018, 03:48 PM
Very nice Alex. Love the feather colour and detail, and the eye is fab. I've photographed them a few times and I know how difficult it is, especially if you don't get good light. Well done.

Will

Daniel Cadieux
08-29-2018, 04:52 PM
Apart from the dof issue, all else rocks. I love the eye and the pattern around the pupil.

Krishna Prasad kotti
08-30-2018, 04:00 PM
I love the Eye. I agree with the Dof.

Very nicely done.

Thanks for sharing.

Alex Becker
08-30-2018, 06:37 PM
Thanks all, much appreciated. In hindsight I would have gone a bit lower on SS and a bit more DOF. Gives me a reason to go back :). Best,

Arthur Morris
08-30-2018, 06:51 PM
Hey Alex, A follow-up question: was this created left of the lighthouse on a cloudy afternoon?

with love, artie

Alex Becker
08-30-2018, 06:54 PM
Hey Alex, A follow-up question: was this created left of the lighthouse on a cloudy afternoon?

with love, artie

You're too good Artie -- yep, in that rocky area where they usually have one of the rangers stationed

Nikhil Patwardhan
08-30-2018, 07:49 PM
The eye is amazing, I like the detail in the dark tones on the bird, I did not think the D500 would be this good at ISO 1600. Have you applied any NR?

Alex Becker
08-30-2018, 08:31 PM
The eye is amazing, I like the detail in the dark tones on the bird, I did not think the D500 would be this good at ISO 1600. Have you applied any NR?

Thanks Nikhil. I did apply some NR, lightly on the bird and then heavier on the BG. I follow along with Artie and Arash's NR guide for Professional Photographers which is very good. I hesitated for a bit to pull the trigger as the Neat Image plugin is I think 70-80$, but of course after finally getting it it's probably the best bang for the buck purchase I've made for my photography. I find I can go ISO 3200 (and even above when properly exposed) and get a pretty clean output.

Arthur Morris
08-31-2018, 05:28 AM
You're too good Artie -- yep, in that rocky area where they usually have one of the rangers stationed

Thanks Alex. This is not my first rodeo :)

with love, artie

Isaac Grant
09-01-2018, 08:46 PM
Very pretty details. I echo what everyone else says re the details and shot, also the depth of field. I will raise a separate issue. I think your colors are a bit off.While I have not been quite as close to Razorbills as you were here, I have seen many of them over the years. They are a bit of a deeper black than you have portrayed here as the blacks look a bit thin to me. While that helps to show some details I do not think it is spot on for what these birds look like. Typical disclaimer re global adjustments and didn't try and get the whites perfect. While the difference is subtle, I think it makes a big difference to the shot.

Arthur Morris
09-02-2018, 05:12 AM
Notes for Isaac.

#1 - Great to have you back.

#2: The heads of razorbills are actually dark brown with a hint of maroon. Not black.

with love, artie

Isaac Grant
09-02-2018, 09:46 AM
Yes I am aware of the colors of the birds, but the colors are not as thin and pale as in the original post. My repost is on the bottom.

Alex Becker
09-04-2018, 03:42 PM
Hey Isaac -- seeing your RP it is a subtle different but does give it more oomph. It's funny this bird is a bit of a PP nemesis for me. I've only seen them a couple times and each time I try to make a note of the colors and tones, and then when I go to process them its a bit out the window :bugeyed:. Thanks again,