PDA

View Full Version : Ruby-throated Hummingbird

John Mack
08-27-2018, 04:09 PM
Feeder set up. This image was created in Ithaca, New York on 6/29/18 at 4:47PM. Image adjustments in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Medium crop.

Canon 5D MarkIV
Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
600mm
ISO 800
f9.0
1/1600sec

Dorian Anderson
08-27-2018, 06:05 PM
Great perch and composition! You have some great detail and color on him. Open beak adds interest as well.
You could try to "green-up" the gray patch in the upper left if cloning is your thing, but it's a nice shot either way.

Arthur Morris
08-28-2018, 05:10 AM
Neat image design with a perfect head angle. The open bill is a plus. It is rare to see good perched images of the male of this species so it is doubly appreciated. From where I sit, the face and the gorget need to be opened up (i.e., lightened). If you need help, LMK.

with love, artie

Jonathan Ashton
08-28-2018, 09:47 AM
Lovely shot John I like the open bill. A little judicious dodging really lifts the image.

Geoffrey Montagu
08-28-2018, 12:40 PM
Wonderful capture, John. Aside from excellent sharpness, I like the somewhat muted colors, and my guess is this is as close to what you saw in the field. Well done.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

Daniel Cadieux
08-28-2018, 06:48 PM
Yes, the head and gorget need to be lightened, and the brighter parts of the perch darkened. I love the image though. Good comp, nice perch, beautiful BG. Do you find that hummers like to perch near a feeder? Is the branch fastened to it?

John Mack
08-28-2018, 07:38 PM
Do you find that hummers like to perch near a feeder? Is the branch fastened to it?

Thanks Daniel,

Yes the hummers like to perch right next to the feeder. The feeder is just out of the frame on the left. The branch is fastened to a light stand which is literally right next to the feeder. The feeder is also below the perch a bout one foot. Once i moved the feeder below the perch they started using it constantly. The feeder and perch are also away from anything else the hummers could use as a perch.

Alex Becker
08-28-2018, 09:33 PM
Good suggestions above, I would add some NR to the background. I love the open beak, the simple perch, and the BG. The flash of red is great. Interesting about the perches, I'll have to try that next summer. TFS

Robert vanMierop
09-03-2018, 06:47 PM
Nice exposure and detail on the bird with a great perch and comp. Only thing I'd change would be to darken the middle of the perch where it seems a little overexposed. Awesome shot.