PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Adult common loon

Randy Stout
08-26-2018, 03:58 PM
This adult common loon was imaged this spring. Sometimes they drift in so close to me that a portrait is the only option. Not complaining mind you. :S3:

D500, 600VR f/9, 1/640s, ISO 400. Taken from my little boat, Loonie Too!

Slight crop from below. Selective sharpening. Cleaned up a few faint spots in the water. Removed second iris catchlight.

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Randy

Joseph Przybyla
08-26-2018, 05:13 PM
Nice work, Randy. Not having seen a Loon this close it is a wonderful image to me. Techs as usual look great. My only thought on opening the image was the lighter areas on the head. Wouid I blend them in? Not sure... Thank you for sharing.

Randy Stout
08-26-2018, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the comment Joe:

The lighter areas on the head are reflections off the water, so I left them in.

Randy

annmpacheco
08-26-2018, 06:02 PM
Hi Randy, Made me smile the entire five minutes I stared at your image! So well done, IQ is superb, just wonderful! TFS

Daniel Cadieux
08-26-2018, 06:53 PM
Nothing much to say except I love it. The velvety smoothness of the face and neck feathers is well rendered. Nice to see your images again!

Arthur Morris
08-27-2018, 11:12 AM
Sweet! Perfect head anlge of one degree toward you.

I am however, curious. Lots of folks here use the word portrait. I am doing bird photography for 35 years and two weeks and I have no idea what is meant by the term portrait. Please do explain :)

with love, artie

Dorian Anderson
08-27-2018, 06:23 PM
All the techs are spot on in the beautiful frame! Comp is perfect. Love the reflection of the lake/sun in his eye.