PDA

View Full Version : Theme Caspian Tern.

Daniel Cadieux
08-25-2018, 12:41 PM
It took about 45 minutes of slow belly-crawling to get close enough for for portraits. Well worth the effort, and this individual became accepting of my close presence and let his guard down. These guys have become rather regular during fall migration at this spot close to my home.

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/1000s., f/10, ISO 400, natural light, handheld, about 80% FF, usual eye work, some white specks removed from the crown, minor bill clean up.

Robert Ainslie
08-25-2018, 01:53 PM
Hello Daniel,

Nice pic.
Is there a reason for the close crop, or did you specifically want to go for a portrait?

Randy Stout
08-25-2018, 02:34 PM
Daniel:

Nice detail, exposure, dof. The soft blue background works well of course with the orange of bill.

I like the chosen crop.

Cheers

Randy

gail bisson
08-25-2018, 02:36 PM
This is a lovely portrait.
Whites exposed for perfectly. I always like your comp choices.
Great details in the feathers and face.
Gail

Arthur Morris
08-25-2018, 03:52 PM
You did well compositionally at a difficult distance. Or maybe a bit more off the right and the top. EXP and SH right on as expected.

with love, artie

Bill Dix
08-26-2018, 10:22 AM
Such beautiful terns; they make nice subjects for a portrait. Nice to have a few close to home. Exposure looks good, and I like the crop as posted.

John Mack
08-26-2018, 03:34 PM
Nice portrait of this caspian. Great detail and background as well. I see these in my area from late spring until early fall.

Jake Levin
08-27-2018, 07:14 PM
Was this at Petrie Island? The Caspians have eluded me thus far over there, so maybe it's time to make a return trip! No nits from me at all; exposure is bang on, beautiful detail in the feathers, and the deep blue background really makes him stand out.

Daniel Cadieux
08-28-2018, 10:09 AM
Thanks guys!

Robert, yes, I was going for tight portrait. I actually wanted to get 3-4 feet closer to the subject but it finally got spooked by a jogger.

Jake, yes indeed, Petrie Island. These guys have become regular there in the early morning during August the last couple of years. Look for the loafing Ring-billed Gulls, they mingle within them on the beach, and sometimes also hang out on the rocks just beyond "the point".