PDA

View Full Version : Theme Domestic Goose Portrait

Stu Bowie
08-25-2018, 07:23 AM
After constant work commitments, and also working out of town for a while, I'm getting a chance to finally post an image. This was captured at 6.00am, just as the sun came up, and I have removed a lot of the yellow cast from the early light. I really like the eye of this Goose. Taken at the University of Pretoria.

Canon 1D Mark IV
Canon 100-400 @ 400mm
1/3200
F/8.0
ISO 640

Manual exposure
Hand Held

Randy Stout
08-25-2018, 08:07 AM
Stu"

Very handsome indeed. Love the soft texture of the feathers, vivid orange bill and orbital ring. Yes, the iris is quite nice.

The blue in background plays well with the oranges.

Very thematic!

Randy

Steve Kaluski
08-25-2018, 08:16 AM
Nice to have you back Bud, good to see you getting time out to shoot too.

Lovely detail and I like the warm light bathing the subject. As noted by Randy, the BKG colour plays well against the rest of the subjects colour palette.

Hope to see more in the coming weeks.

TFS
Steve

John Mack
08-25-2018, 09:18 AM
Gorgeous frame here. Love the light and that great detail. The darker background makes the bird pop nicely.

annmpacheco
08-25-2018, 10:30 AM
"Eye" like it Stu, blue that is. Wonderful crisp details and so interesting to stare at all the lovely specifics, the serrated top beak and the wear and tear at the tip... Wonderful work on the whites and wow this goose pops against the BG, top job.

Daniel Cadieux
08-25-2018, 11:05 AM
NIce detail throughout, and yes the eye looks great.

Arthur Morris
08-25-2018, 04:07 PM
Killer head portrait and BKGR. Fabulous sharpness and details. I am confused about one thing -- the Greylag Geese that I have seen in the UK are gray, or grey depending on which side of the pond you are on. Great to see you back in action again.

with love, artie

Steve Kaluski
08-26-2018, 05:48 AM
I am confused about one thing -- the Greylag Geese that I have seen in the UK are gray, or grey depending on which side of the pond you are on.

Artie (and purely posted for comparison) here is a Greylag from across the pond.

Arthur Morris
08-26-2018, 07:18 AM
Thanks Steve, But now I am more confused :) I am assuming that the white bird in Pane 1 was photographed in South Africa and the grey bird was photographed in the UK. Are they the same species? Is the white bird a domesticated version, what I would call a soup duck? Or is the white bird a form, a color morph, or a different race?

with love, artie

Steve Kaluski
08-26-2018, 07:32 AM
Hi Artie, I don't think you are alone in being confused, but a good conversation point, however both it seems have very similar characteristics apart from the colour. As to wether they are the same species I personally could not say, but may be the SA species has morphed into a white plumage for the hot climate???????? Perhaps Stu may be able to shed some light.

Stu Bowie
08-26-2018, 11:19 AM
Hi All, I messed up with the name. This fellow is actually pure white, and is actually called a domestic goose, although captured in the 'wild'. Thanks for bringing it to my attention with your queries. :w3

Arthur Morris
08-26-2018, 04:22 PM
Hi All, I messed up with the name. This fellow is actually pure white, and is actually called a domestic goose, although captured in the 'wild'. Thanks for bringing it to my attention with your queries. :w3

Thanks Stu. What's for lunch???

with love, artie