PDA

View Full Version : Avocet

Graham Wilkes
08-25-2018, 03:32 AM
Avocet feeding in saltwater lagoon taken early morning in at light.
Out of focus surface flies removed.
Thanks for looking all critique welcome.
65% Crop
1/1000 sec @ f7.1 in AV +1 Ex Comp.
1SO 400
DPP/PS CC
7D 11
400mm f5.6L USM

Graham.

Robert Ainslie
08-25-2018, 06:21 AM
Hello Graham,

I like the bird with the reflection in the water.
For my taste I would however reduce the open space on the left slightly.

Randy Stout
08-25-2018, 08:11 AM
Graham:

Elegant bird, classic pose, like the muck on the foot, good catchlight. Just enough texture in the water to add a sense of depth.

Although the reflection is a bit distorted, the curved bill reflection works pretty well to catch ones attention.

I appreciate Robert's point about the framing, and because the head is pointed down towards the water, you generally don't need as much open space ahead of the bird, compared to an image where he is looking out of frame, or getting ready to take off.

Cheers

Randy

John Mack
08-25-2018, 09:20 AM
Like the pose and the rippled reflection. The comp is nice.

Daniel Cadieux
08-25-2018, 11:07 AM
Graphically this is a nice image - I like the patterns, curves, distortions, etc. I do find the blacks too deep, void of detail. I wish the eye was more defined. I like the composition as is, and the raised foot adds interest.

Mike Poole
08-25-2018, 11:48 AM
the framing is going to be down to personal taste, I quite like it as is, and think and tighter and you might start to lose the IQ. Agree with the blacks being opened up a little

Mike

Arthur Morris
08-25-2018, 04:11 PM
GW, I'm with Mikey Poole as the framing looks perfect to my eye. Love the soft light and the B&W look but for the blue legs. The s-shaped reflection of the bill is fabulous as noted by Randy Stout. Thanks for sharing this beautiful image.

with love, artie