PDA

View Full Version : Ann's hummingbird in flight

Victor Banerjee
08-24-2018, 07:13 PM
Took this image at San Francisco Botanical Garden around 9am. This is the first time I actually could able to take a flight shoot of ahumming bird. I wanted to keep the feel that the bird is constantly moving so Iused relatively slow shutter speed to make the wings look blurry while the eye issharp.
I will appreciate your comments and criticism.
60D, 500 mm f4 IS II (handheld)
1/640 s, f4, ISO 400, Spot metering.
Thanks,
Victor

Tim Foltz
08-24-2018, 07:25 PM
Hello Victor, unfortunately there are several issues with OOF items in this picture, across the flowers and also the righthand side covering the birds wing.
Also the foreground flowers covering the tail, image looks a bit soft maybe some sharpening can bring it back.
Thanks for sharing.

-Tim

Victor Banerjee
08-25-2018, 12:15 AM
Hey Tim,
Thanks for pointing out the OOF items. I agree with you and next time I will be more cautious with these OOF items. I have some other shots that do not have such items though. In this image what I liked is the hole body and the wings are blurry due to motion blur but the head and the eye of the bird is in focus. I guess since the image was reduced in size for post it may look slight soft. Thank you very much for your comments.
-Victor

Stu Bowie
08-25-2018, 03:14 AM
Hi Victor, Tim has pointed out the main issues. With regards to any birds in flight, always try and up your shutter speed to at least 1/2000 to achieve a sharp subject. i understand about having wing blur for motion, but at least the body/head/eye should be sharp.

Robert Ainslie
08-25-2018, 06:40 AM
Hello Victor,

I like the idea behind the shot.
For me the OOF issue is more distracting with the bird than the flowers.
Regards

Daniel Cadieux
08-25-2018, 11:39 AM
I can relate the excitement! IT's always a thrill to get "firsts". Beautiful subject, and the flower looks rather neat. The main issue, already pointed out, is the oof stuff clouding the flower, and distracting the BG. Keep at it, that looks like a good spot to stake out, just align yourself for better surroundings and hope the hummer(s) come at the right area.

Arthur Morris
08-25-2018, 04:24 PM
Hi Victor, You did a good job of focusing as the bird's face looks very sharp to me. But as noted above this image has many problems, some mentioned, some not. The image is very contrasty because of the bright sunlight. The light green strip on the right side of the frame is very distracting. And with the bird's left wing pointing right at us it is pretty much invisible ... The more you photograph and the more you post the more you will improve.

with love, artie

Victor Banerjee
08-28-2018, 11:02 PM
Thank you very much to Tim, Stu, Robert, Daniel and Artie for your suggestions and constructive criticism. I have some other shots of the same bird that I took on the same day. I am adding one of the images here which does noes not have the OOF issue. However I did not like the background that i.e. why did not post it.

Arthur Morris
08-29-2018, 05:34 AM
Victor, Pane #8 is much better than Pane #1 as the background is softer and nicer -- we disagree on that -- and we have a good look at both wings. #1 has that very distracting light strip on the right and much too much of the top of the flower ... I am positive that over time you can do much better.

with love, artie

Arthur Morris
08-29-2018, 05:37 AM
Victor, A final note: take a look at the image just above yours by Allen Sparks: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/145723-Ruby-throated-Hummingbird You will see what is possible with hovering hummingbirds ...
with love, artie

Victor Banerjee
08-29-2018, 12:42 PM
Thanks Artie. I have seen the image and it is really a very good shot. Next time I shall try to use a speed light to make the shot better by increasing shutter speed and lowering the ISO.

Arthur Morris
08-29-2018, 12:46 PM
Thanks Artie. I have seen the image and it is really a very good shot. Next time I shall try to use a speed light to make the shot better by increasing shutter speed and lowering the ISO.

YAW. Allen's image is much more about the situation than it is about the flash ...

with love, artie