PDA

View Full Version : Theme Cattle Egret... breeding colors and plumage

Joseph Przybyla
08-24-2018, 10:05 AM
I captured this image in the rookery at the alligator breeding pond in Gatorland, Orlando, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED image captured at 400mm
1/2000 F/6.3 Matrix Metering EV 0 ISO 900 Auto 1 WB, camera supported by a monopod
Post processed in Lightroom Classic CC and Photoshop CC 2018, blended a few scratches in the red on the bill
Cropped for composition and presentation

Graham Wilkes
08-24-2018, 11:47 AM
Fabulous portrait, love the colours of the bill/eye contrasting with the background and feathers.
Also like the fine detail in feathers and crest with good exposure on whites.

Graham

Tim Foltz
08-24-2018, 11:45 PM
Joe, wonderful colors on this bird I've never seen them in breeding plumage.
Nice details, colors and BG.

-Tim

Allen Sparks
08-25-2018, 01:54 AM
Hi Joe,
Wow love that red eye. Great colors on this bird. Very nice portrait with fine details.
Allen

Stu Bowie
08-25-2018, 03:16 AM
Hi Joe, great portrait for the theme, and those breeding colours are striking. I would remove the blue cast on the top of the wing.

Daniel Cadieux
08-25-2018, 11:44 AM
Hay Joe, great portrait here, with lots of cool candy colours! The cyan cast on the egret is easy to get rid of - I just selected the large area in question and desaturated the cyan channel in PS. I also smooth out the very upper left corner as there is a streak up there that catches my eye.

Mike Poole
08-25-2018, 11:51 AM
Near on perfect head angle and the colours are awesome. Great details, and Dans RP takes it up another notch

Mike

Joseph Przybyla
08-25-2018, 03:18 PM
Thanks everyone for viewing, commenting and suggesting improvements. Very much appreciated...

Daniel, thank you for the edit and showing me how to correct the image. I did as you suggested lowering the cyan channel and fixing the background. The bill on this edit and post is as was in the original, not sure if I want to change it. Most times I am inclined to go with it as captured in the original. Thanks again for the help and edit.

Daniel Cadieux
08-25-2018, 03:42 PM
I'd keep the blue on the skin around the eye, and most of the bill as in your original, but your repost has much better feather whites.

Joseph Przybyla
08-25-2018, 03:45 PM
I'd keep the blue on the skin around the eye, and most of the bill as in your original, but your repost has much better feather whites.

Thanks Dan, I'll work on your suggestions.

Arthur Morris
08-25-2018, 04:28 PM
Hey Joe, It is not easy to get close to this species with a short lens. Cattle Egrets in breeding plumage alwas have the messiest bills despite their incredible colors and beauty. I like them best in soft light.

with love, artie