PDA

View Full Version : Theme Zebra Foal

Rachel Hollander
08-21-2018, 07:01 AM
I thought I would try to add to the diversity of the youngsters being posted for this month's theme. Here's a zebra foal photographed in South Luangwa, Zambia on my 2016 trip. I didn't see any this young on my recent trip. I like that it shows the brownish/reddish stripes that they are born with.

Canon 7D2
300 II
1/1250
f5.0
ISO 800
Monopod while standing, slight crop for comp, curves, selective color adjustments, sharpened in PSCC.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
08-21-2018, 12:13 PM
Hi Rachel, I like this a lot. So good to see them so young and good thing is its in clean & clear surroundings with no distractions. Light looks nice and the details are good. TFS.

William Dickson
08-21-2018, 03:20 PM
Love the pose and facial expression on the zebra. Lovely detail. Nice POV. The image looks a wee bit yellow here.

Will

John Mack
08-21-2018, 04:06 PM
I have never seen a small zebra for that reason i enjoyed viewing this one. The composition is nice and the light as well.

Marc Mol
08-21-2018, 04:07 PM
A wonderful healthy young foal here Rachel, and a good example of just how brick red their new coats are.

The dark mid tones and blacks look a tad flat and would try for a slight CCWR.

TFS

Jonathan Ashton
08-22-2018, 01:57 PM
Rachel, I think the head and neck of the foal looks good but I get the impression the rest of the image is a little overexposed to me.

haseeb badar
08-22-2018, 01:58 PM
Hi Rachel -- Nice to get them in the clean settings and isolated. Nice details and colours here. You have handled the HLS well especially on the cheek and back portion . Nice and simple. TFS !

Andreas Liedmann
08-22-2018, 02:34 PM
Hi Rachel good looking foal ....color and tone are nice , just a tiny bit of mid tone in the red channel for a bit more depth .
Not much you can do about the shooting angle , just wish you had a lower angle to isolate the foal better from FG and BG .
TFS Andreas

Rachel Hollander
08-22-2018, 07:21 PM
Thank you all for the comments and suggestions. We were out of the vehicle for a bush break/stretch and then noticed the zebras approaching. We didn't want to spook them, especially with the youngster so kept the vehicle between us and them and I shot this over the front of the vehicle.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
08-23-2018, 02:24 AM
just wish you had a lower angle to isolate the foal better from FG and BG .

I agree Andreas, it still has that slight down angle..

I shot this over the front of the vehicle.

As you were on foot you could have been much lower I feel Rachel, kneeling, definitely the POV would have been better as you may have been at eye level, but I'm guessing you were using the hood/bonnet as a rest for the 300? A Channel curves for the light/HL's would help the slightly brighter tones. Why f/5?

TFS
Steve

Jay Shah
08-23-2018, 10:22 AM
Hi Rachel, have never seen so young, so nice to know the color variation. As noted by others, nicely captured image of an uncommon subject. TFS.

Rachel Hollander
08-24-2018, 08:57 AM
Thanks Steve and Jay. I should have also said that I was avoiding the road that was between us and yes, Steve, I think I did use the hood of the vehicle. F5 because I was far enough away and the zebra was parallel enough to the sensor that I didn't need more dof.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
08-24-2018, 09:18 AM
F5 because I was far enough away and the zebra was parallel enough to the sensor that I didn't need more dof.

Interesting looks more slightly to the right and not directly facing you, head on, but... still would have gone f5.6.