PDA

View Full Version : Andean Condor - Colombia

Dorian Anderson
08-20-2018, 12:25 AM
In 32 years of birding (since age 7!) this was one of the most remarkable encounters I've had. The condor holds
a special place in the history and culture of indigenous people in Southern Colombia, and a local Andean community
to the east of Popayán - in Purace National Park - puts out food for the birds several times each week. The birds
don't always show up, but an adult and an immature came winging in from high overhead on the day of my visit.
With 11-foot wingspans, they were absolutely breathtaking.

With shifting clouds, strong wind, and a fair amount of rain, shooting conditions were tough, particularly as the
birds stayed mostly overhead before finally coming down to the offered entrails. The adult did make one brief pass
below my vantage, and it was then that I captured this topside frame. Detail is lacking a bit, but I'm still happy
with the frame given the species, view, and conditions. This represents about 35% of the frame.

Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS II on EOS 5D Mark IV
1/1600 at f/5.6, ISO 800

I've included a second photo to help you picture the scene. The other birds are Black Vultures, for comparison.

Dorian Anderson
08-20-2018, 12:27 AM
The scene, unedited......

Allen Sparks
08-20-2018, 06:46 AM
Hi Dorian,
Wow that is one big spectacular bird! Must have been an awesome experience.
I really like the topside view - a great flight pose. Nice capture. I see what you mean by the crop affecting the image quality.
Allen

Dorian Anderson
08-20-2018, 08:38 AM
Thanks Allen. The big is just SO BIG that it necessarily has to be a long way off to get the entire wingspan. That will necessarily
limit the amount of detail I could get in a full-spread flight shot.

Hi Dorian,
Wow that is one big spectacular bird! Must have been an awesome experience.
I really like the topside view - a great flight pose. Nice capture. I see what you mean by the crop affecting the image quality.
Allen

annmpacheco
08-20-2018, 08:50 AM
hi Dorian, Glad you posted the second image for comparison, wow how spectacular, the black vultures look like ants at a picnic! What a special event to witness! Wonderful topside view, TFS!

Arthur Morris
08-20-2018, 10:46 AM
The dorsal view is killer. The whole image looks dark to me; what are others seeing? I am pretty sure that opening up the face would help.

with love, artie

Dorian Anderson
08-20-2018, 12:09 PM
As suggested. Agree it looks better. First version processed late last night with sleepy eyes! Had already lighten head a bit, but bumping the light on the whole image this iteration
also helped.

The dorsal view is killer. The whole image looks dark to me; what are others seeing? I am pretty sure that opening up the face would help.

with love, artie

Arthur Morris
08-20-2018, 01:24 PM
Much better. Well done.

with love, artie

John Mack
08-20-2018, 03:17 PM
Pretty neat experience. The repost looks much better in terms of exposure. You caught a great view of this guy.

Raybel Robles
08-20-2018, 06:38 PM
Wow! that's a bird you dont see everyday!

Love the banking pose. Great head angle and BG. Super special photo for sure. The repost is my pick.

arash_hazeghi
08-20-2018, 08:29 PM
love the dorsal view of this bird, glad your trip was productive, I also like the repost with increased brightness

TFS

David Salem
08-21-2018, 02:26 AM
Awesome capture Dorian!! The repost Rocks!! Look at the size of that thing compared to the Blacks!! Must have been some trip. Keep em coming.

Daniel Cadieux
08-21-2018, 04:57 AM
What a majestic bird! Great view of the wingspan. Good IQ for the large crop.