this wasn't the perch I most wanted, but the top view and color really sat
well with me. Wish for a bit more DOF, but that wasn't happening given
the very early morning hour.

Canon 500mm f/4 IS on EOS 5D Mark IV
1/200 at f/4, ISO 2000, tripod

Allen Sparks
08-19-2018, 06:34 AM
Hi Dorian,
A very striking subject - I can see why you liked this one. Nice background and you seemed to have done well given the low light. More DOF would have been nice but still a pleasing image overall.
Allen

Arthur Morris
08-19-2018, 08:01 AM
PMP = pretty much perfect. And a good self-critique as the perch is a bit too big for the bird and it superb pose and head angle. Keep 'em coming.

with love, artie

John Mack
08-19-2018, 03:17 PM
Neat looking bird. Never head of or seen one before. Details look good and the pose on the bird is nice as well.

Isaac Grant
08-19-2018, 04:44 PM
Love Bay-headed Tanager. Have seen them before and they are quite striking. Great details and bird looks really good against that background. Agree that the perch is a bit large. Here are my thoughts on songbird photography. You need 3 things to make the shot really stand out, bird, perch and background. Of those 3 the hardest to get right is the perch. It is easy to get a bird, a bit harder to get the bird and a nice background, but many times harder to get the bird, background and a beautiful perch. The perch makes the shot for me with songbirds. Ideally it should be a sized right for the bird and be a pretty perch. It should not be overpowering to the bird, it should be appropriate for the habitat the birds live in and should be more than just a dead or bare stick. So for me you ticked 2 of the 3 boxes on this one, with the most difficult being the perch. Looking forward to more shots from your amazing trip.

Raybel Robles
08-20-2018, 06:43 PM
Very nice indeed, I agree with a bit more DOF but is not much of a problem for me. I would love to have this photo myself! :)