PDA

View Full Version : Theme Happy World Elephant Day!

Rachel Hollander
08-12-2018, 07:45 AM
Another from my epic elephant sightings on my most recent trip. Taken in the Timbavati Game Reserve, South Africa. The elephants were having a blast digging for water in the late day sun and covering each other with dust.

Canon 5D3
100-400 II @ 400mm
1/750
f6.7
ISO 800
HH from safari vehicle, ff, levels, curves, color adjustments, sharpened in PSCC.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Jonathan Ashton
08-12-2018, 01:54 PM
Hi Rachel, yes I like the image. I am a little torn over the inclusion of the ele on the RHS, I suppose it forms a frame or border but I think the subject(s) is/are the young ones (?)
I bet you had some fun playing with various versions to lift shadows and yet show texture in the skin. I attach an alternative for consideration - pehaps you feel it is too dark compared to what you recall. I have burned the base a little and applied a curves layer, adjusting opacity as I went along

Andreas Liedmann
08-12-2018, 03:28 PM
Hi Rachel good to hear that you enjoyed such encounter , lovely warm lighting in this scene .
Tone , colors and sharpness looking spot on to me , the framing is always difficult to choose i think in this scenario . You made the best out of it IMHO. Well controlled shadows and the mid tones with lots of detail.
Nice one.
TFS Andreas

John Mack
08-12-2018, 04:37 PM
Gorgeous light here. Nice view of the two elephants in the center. Details look quite good. Do you shoot in 1/2 stops instead of 1/3?

haseeb badar
08-13-2018, 07:13 AM
HI Rachel -- It is very difficult to frame the elephant herds especially in situations like the one above. I liked the OP, with good details and tones, colours look good as well. Jonathan's RP is a bit too dark for my taste but understand what he is trying to suggest. I also liked the sand accumulated on the ele's head. Nice one.

TFS !

Rachel Hollander
08-14-2018, 06:38 PM
Thanks Jon, Andreas, John and Haseeb for the comments and suggestions. I agree about the rp being a bit too dark.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Gabriela Plesea
08-15-2018, 01:12 PM
Hello Rachel,

A lovely and sunny scene of those little "busy bodies" looking for water - I like it very much:S3:

Happy with the framing, IQ is great, so is sharpness and detail. I think I understand where Jon was going, but if I were to add another curve adjustment I would probably apply it even more selectively (eg. on those mounds of soil the subjects dug out, the loose bits of sand on the little Ellie's head and maybe those wet patches on the adults' bodies). The purpose would be to add a more 3D feel, although I must say I am happy with this image as presented - it is well processed, colours and tonality look good, that golden light is simply stunning. All in a all a very nice behavioural frame Rachel, thank you so much for sharing!

Warmest regards,

Jay Shah
08-17-2018, 03:51 AM
Hi Rachel, I found out during my recent trip to Kenya that while it is easy to photography ele (as they move sloowly), it is tough to come up with interesting composition. I like how you have filled up the frame and chose this image from I am sure hundreds of other images. Nothing new to add on other aspects. TFS.

Rachel Hollander
08-17-2018, 10:26 AM
Thanks Gabriela and Jay. I had a lot of opportunities with the elephants so had plenty of chances to experiment with compositions.

Thanks again,
Rachel