PDA

View Full Version : Theme Looking for water...

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
08-06-2018, 12:35 PM
A young lion (a part of pride of 14 lions) at serengeti on a dried up water body. The caked lake bed tells it all. Light was harsh but I kinda liked the walking pose and the unusual ground pattern.
5D IV
500 II
1/2000
f/10
ISO 800

Gabriela Plesea
08-06-2018, 01:59 PM
Hello Sanjeev,

Wonderful sighting, really nice POV and expression from this youngster. The FG adds a lot to this image and I like your framing. As well as eye contact with subject. Nice pose too.

Good techs and your choice of aperture works. The shadows are proof that light wasn't in your favour but you still exposed well, nicely done.

Cannot think of many things that could improve this frame, I would probably try emphasise further this arid river bed because it tells a lot about the situation the pride was in, their search for water. It adds drama.

Colours look good on the cub, if possible I would try lift those blacks a bit, especially gums.

Really enjoyed this, looking forward to comments from the other members as I am curious if they have any suggestions in terms of processing. Thank you so much for sharing :S3:

Kind regards,

John Mack
08-06-2018, 07:31 PM
Like the walking pose on the lion. Details look great. Really like all the cracked mud.

Rachel Hollander
08-07-2018, 06:56 AM
Hi Sanjeev - This image tells a story and for me it's more about the parched land than the lion. Nice detail on the lion but I might try and bring out even more in the earth. The walking pose and turn to camera are nice too. I might try a b&w, especially if you have another frame for the sighting with the lion completely against the cracked mud (rather than the bit of grass too). I'm happy to have a go if you want to send across the raw.

TFS,
Rachel

Jonathan Ashton
08-07-2018, 07:54 AM
Sanjeev I have to confess previous comments caught my eyes as I scrolled down, having said that I think the fur in the young lion looks really good, maybe a slight dodge on the bottom lip but I am not sure what detail would be revealed (?). It would probably not have occurred to me until after the event but I agree a little texture to the dried river bed would enhance the scene.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
08-07-2018, 08:32 AM
Rachel. I will share the RAW file with you. I had been to the same spot a few years ago in May(this was in June, so pretty close) and back then there was a lot of water! Blame it on global warming??

Steve Kaluski
08-07-2018, 08:44 AM
Hi Sanjeev, now this is more like it in terms of IQ and PP, like this a lot.

Like the mid stride and look at those front paws, they are huge!!! I think you mean f/9 not f/10, good call. The light, although not ideal has worked well and like others, the cracking mud pan just adds. I agree on enhancing the mud element, but overall it needed a lift in the dark M/T's, especially the face. Sharpening and detail loos 100% spot on.

Nice one Sanjeev you should be very pleased with this. :cheers:

TFS
Steve

Steve Kaluski
08-07-2018, 09:38 AM
Forgot to add, perhaps a slight CW rotation may help, this is 1.7, however you do loose a bit, but done in PS all good, but YES :w3, you do need to go to PSCC Sanjeev.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
08-07-2018, 10:03 AM
Thank you Steve, your RP is PERFECT! PSCC it shall be sir!

Steve Kaluski
08-07-2018, 10:09 AM
Great Sanjeev, just take a note of all your settings ie Edit > Colour settings, Convert to Profile, Save for Web (Legacy), Working Space

Once you install PSCC best just to go through and make the changes before doing any PP.

I'll drop you a line, however once install, if you have a problem drop me a line, just make sure you have the right WORKING Space!!!

Steve

Steve Kaluski
08-07-2018, 10:27 AM
Check your email Sanjeev.

Geoffrey Montagu
08-07-2018, 05:38 PM
Great title and well told story, Sanjeev. The forlorn expression, as this youngster walks across the dried lake bed, says it all.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)