PDA

View Full Version : Leopard in grass

Steve Kaluski
08-01-2018, 08:34 AM
Just following up on Rachels posting of a Lion in grass, but this Leopard was above, so shooting up, it was just watching before stalking, I think early morning. Ensured the FP (refined the point) was bang on the LH eye and blade free, the other is what it is.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Leopard in grass (Panthera pardus)
Camera: Canon 1DX MKI
Lens: 500f/4 MKII plus 1.4x MKIII HH
Exposure: 1/2000s at f/5.6 ISO1600
Original format: Portrait, almost FF
Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2018

haseeb badar
08-02-2018, 04:04 AM
Hi Steve -- The IQ and the light both are good here. These kind of images best depict the animals especially the cats in their natural habitat and also reflects upon their behaviour. I too like to capture such kind of scene when out there on the field but will always be 50-50 on it as far as I am a viewer. TFS !

Steve Kaluski
08-02-2018, 04:18 AM
hese kind of images best depict the animals especially the cats in their natural habitat and also reflects upon their behaviour. I too like to capture such kind of scene when out there on the field but will always be 50-50 on it as far as I am a viewer.

Spot ion Haseeb, could not have phrased it better. :cheers:

I post something later that is more 'in keeping' with my images. :w3

Rachel Hollander
08-02-2018, 05:58 AM
Hi Steve - Is this from our trip? I have a similar image that I think I posted a while back of the Vomba Young Male which is one of my favorites from our trip. I shot it landscape though with more negative space and environment. The portrait works well and I think this portrays the leopard's camoflague well. Like mine and my recent lion image, the grass doesn't bother me. I think these especially work when there is more grass rather than just a blade or two. Definitely have to use single point AF to focus on the eye through all the grass!

TFS,
Rachel

John Mack
08-02-2018, 06:32 AM
I like this. Shows the leopard in a nice environment here. Sweet light as well. The techs and details looks quite good.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
08-02-2018, 12:49 PM
Hi Steve, the vertical framing with the tall grass & the alert pose make this for me. I only wish the other eye too was clear but thats fine here. It appears as if it's behind a veil!!

Gabriela Plesea
08-04-2018, 11:34 AM
Dear Steve,

Wonderful capture of this leopard - I have never been fond of vegetation crossing a subject's face but in this particular case I must admit it works well: there's an "evenness" to this curtain of grasses that makes for a charming setting and the green in the BG also contributes to that effect. I also like the FG and the way it partially hides the body of the leopard.

Lovely pose, nice composition too and super techs ( more DoF and the frame would have appeared too busy, I think) - you are a such a quick thinker out there in the field:bg3:

Well processed as expected with lovely detail, colours look natural, beautiful light.

Many thanks for sharing Steve, and I hope you have a wonderful evening,

Warmest regards,

Steve Kaluski
08-04-2018, 01:47 PM
I have a similar image that I think I posted a while back of the Vomba Young Male which is one of my favorites from our trip.

Londolozi Rachel. :S3:

Steve Kaluski
08-04-2018, 01:55 PM
you are a such a quick thinker out there in the field

LOL Gabriela, get a bit rusty every now and then, takes me a day when I'm away to get focused, so I'm glad I had a week or so before hooking up.

Yes, with the D5 you should get immersed in Nikons version of 'Cases', it will help you and the more you try and explore what they do, the better you become and more discerning on what works and what doesn't for your photography. It definitely works, perhaps try it with Scooby-Doo, stills and running towards you, great practice. :bg3:

Gabriela Plesea
08-04-2018, 03:30 PM
I think I am the rusty one Steve, but planning to change that:w3 Tried a couple of things with Scooby-Doo some time ago but ended up flat on the ground, he came at me like a train:bg3: So I'll get out there more and hopefully find a slower target, like a leopard or a lion:t3

Steve Kaluski
08-04-2018, 03:45 PM
Tried a couple of things with Scooby-Doo some time ago but ended up flat on the ground, he came at me like a train

Exactly what I did with Finn, but slightly slower. I can give you some initial settings to try, but re cases I'm not sure about Nikon, may need to wait until I'm back in London, but it may relate to the 4(s). Leo/Lion might be more of an issue if you are flat on the ground and coming towards you. :w3

Gabriela Plesea
08-04-2018, 05:35 PM
I will wait patiently till you get back to London, not sure where to start but happy to try anything new!

More afraid of Scooby than of the mighty lion...But when I said lion I meant THE CUB:t3 BTW Scooby had a habit of whacking just about everything around the house with its tail, and especially when happy to see me back from work:bg3:

Have a lovely Sunday, Steve - chat soon!

Jay Shah
08-17-2018, 04:04 AM
Hi Steve, if this was my image, I would have loved it, but would not have dared post here (Flickr would be fine). So glad to see it coming from you. And as others have commented, here the story the image tells trumps technical dos and dont's. Of course your technical perfection also makes this image work. TFS.