PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Wildflowers

Roger Clark
06-25-2008, 10:17 PM
Has anyone encountered any good wildflowers in the high country yet? I would especially like to hear reports about Crested Butte and the San Juans. With 130% snow pack, and we've been having rain, it could be a great year.
Along the Colorado Front range, I've not seen anything great, but it is still early.
Roger

Dave Hutchinson
06-27-2008, 10:21 AM
I just spent 3 days on Mt. Evans June 13-15 photographing mountain goats, bighorn sheep and doing some macro photography in the Bristlecone forest. Spotty wildflowers there so far, but it looked like spring's showing isn't to far. -Dave-

Roger Clark
06-27-2008, 10:02 PM
Dave,
I was up on Mt Evans June 22. Yes, a few wildflowers, but at that altitude, it looks about normal for this time of year. It is only 53 miles from my hose to the summit, and I hadn't been up in a couple of years. But as usual, it didn't disappoint: many animals. In your other post you mentioned ptarmagin. Where did you see the ptarmagin on Mt Evans?
Roger

Joanna Trescott
08-03-2008, 09:53 AM
Dave: I am in the Aspen area and the wildflowers are awesome, especially above timberline on Indpendence Pass. There is alot of fireweed at Maroon Bells. The lupine is about gone but lots of other flowers to photograph right now.

Dave Hutchinson
12-15-2008, 07:56 PM
Dave,
I was up on Mt Evans June 22. Yes, a few wildflowers, but at that altitude, it looks about normal for this time of year. It is only 53 miles from my hose to the summit, and I hadn't been up in a couple of years. But as usual, it didn't disappoint: many animals. In your other post you mentioned ptarmagin. Where did you see the ptarmagin on Mt Evans?
Roger
The Ptarmagin was between the Briarcone Pine forest and the guard crossing at the bottom of the road. Sorry that this was so late. We saw several.

Dave Hutchinson
12-15-2008, 07:57 PM
The Ptarmagin was between the Briarcone Pine forest and the guard crossing at the bottom of the road. Sorry that this was so late. We saw several.
Whoops..I meant the Bristlecone Pine forest. -Dave-