PDA

View Full Version : Backlit plover

Alex Becker
07-30-2018, 11:54 AM
Hi all,

A piping plover taken right at sunrise at Sandy Hook NJ. The light / scene was really pinkish red so I've tried to keep that as well as bring some depth back into the bird. Background is a wave breaking. In post, NR, sharpened, cropped / leveled the image about 20%.

Camera: Nikon D500
Lens: 200-500mm f/5.6E
Specs: 1/640 ISO 1000 f/5.6

Thanks for looking and commenting on prior posts!
Alex

John Mack
07-30-2018, 03:37 PM
Great low angle. Love the light gives the image a dreamy feel. The comp works for me as well.

Daniel Cadieux
07-31-2018, 06:22 PM
I like the low angle, subject, layer of in-focus pebbles. I even like the specular highlights in the FG. I'm having a tough time getting into the lighting you got here though. I realize this is likely what you saw, but I wish it was even more backlit (almost silhouette). Not sure for now. I'll come back to it later and see if it grows :-) Don't get me wrong though, I do love what you went for!

Isaac Grant
07-31-2018, 11:44 PM
I'm with Daniel on this one. Pebbles look super cool and you have a nice pose. Specifically I like that you got something different of this heavily photographed species. I think Daniel is spot on. I would prefer either totally backlit or with the sun at your back. While this is pretty, I think that both of the alternatives would be even more dramatic.

Mike Hitchen
08-01-2018, 08:49 AM
I really like the dreamy effect on this.
It may sound odd, but I find the sharp focus on the pebbles a bit distracting - the bird being in part-shadow loses some acuity whereas the pebbles being edge-lit are very sharp. I am not sure at the moment what the answer is, but I guess a good measure is the immediate thought on opening the image and in this case I like it.

William Dickson
08-01-2018, 04:55 PM
I like what you were trying to do here Alex. But, its not quite working for me. I'm wondering if you added some more contrast it may work better!

Will

Alex Becker
08-03-2018, 03:51 PM
Thanks all -- much appreciated. I'll look at the post a bit and see what some tweaks can do. Always good to experiment and I may try to go more silhouette in the future. Best,