PDA

View Full Version : Treetops, Aberdare

George DeCamp
06-25-2008, 07:38 PM
http://decamp.net/bpn/DSC_3009.jpg

Treetops Lodge, Aberdare National Park Kenya

Located just inside the gates of Aberdare National Park in Kenya, Treetops overlooks waterholes and a saltlick. This was one of the first places we stayed when we went to Kenya the first time. It was so cool what they did there. The animals would come to the viewing area at night and you would leave a list of what you wanted to see at the desk. When the animal came to the water hole someone would knock on your door to wake you and tell you a Hippo for instance was at the watering hole and you would get up to see it! :D

Needless to say since we really had seen nothing we were up all night and stayed up on the roof watching stuff the whole evening. The Queen of England actually stayed here way back when. My guess is she had a nicer room than we did 30 or so yrs later.

Alfred Forns
06-25-2008, 08:00 PM
I guess you can just stay the for the duration George !!! Man what a place !!! Have to make it to Africa !!!!

Roman Kurywczak
06-25-2008, 09:28 PM
That's a very unique place George. I find many of the Africa lodges pretty unique!

David Steele
06-25-2008, 11:56 PM
Brings back memories George. The queen stayed at Treetops but not in this structure. It was an older one in a nearby tree which has now fallen down. Famously, she climbed up the tree a princess and climbed down it a queen (her father King George VI, died while she was there). You can still see the fallen remains of the tree where the original Treetops was.

Robert Amoruso
06-26-2008, 12:29 PM
I like the detail of the building. Some close-ups of that would be cool too. Image makes you want to be there.

Gus Cobos
06-26-2008, 08:37 PM
Wow, great place George. I like the image...:D

Michael P. Centanni
06-28-2008, 07:43 AM
Very Cool! What else can you say!