PDA

View Full Version : Howler

Kenn Christensen
01-08-2008, 11:57 PM
f 5.6, 1/400, isoo 400,
50-500 sigma,
313 focal length
tripod mounted

I need to add a bit more info here so that this shot is NOT misleading.. though Im sure most assume what is the case here...
this wolf was part of a captive pack and lives in an enclosed area near forest lake minnesota at the international wildlife center. I was allowed to enter the enclosure with supervision and take some shots on this beautiful snowy day. This guy was so friendly he was being petted by the person supervising us (there were 2 photographers)...
Suddenly the wolves all over started to howl (there are nearly 50 wolves on site if memmory serves *and it may not*)... so this guy started howling too.. he was closer than 20 feet away.. the "supervisor" was standing nearby and he was on the edge of the enclosure.. just to obtain this shot I had to close in quite a bit... I too wish I had more canvas and more wolf... I would literally have to create them.. though I did remove a bit off the top because some sort of horizontal line.. possible a bar was visible... along with that I removed just a small amount from the right as well.....
this is full and total disclosure on this shot.. I will be updating the rest of mine as time allows

Jasper Doest
01-09-2008, 02:45 AM
Nice behaviour captured here. You can almost hear him :-) I think this shot would be even nicer if you would cool down the tones a bit...
Personally Im not a big fan of headshots in wildlife....and this makes me curious how this would have looked when you would have created a photograph from a wider perspective. The snowflakes are so lovely! Nice.

D. Robert Franz
01-09-2008, 09:04 AM
This tight portrait does emphasize the howl. Great detail and action. It seems just a bit tight. I would like to see a bit more room on the left and bottom. The falling snow is a big bonus..

soleynicola
01-09-2008, 04:25 PM
love the ice/snow flakes through the fur, and as mentioned real focused on the howl and comes across as main emphasis very well.. very tight crop agree on a bit more breathing room around the creature on the bottom.. also be nice to see all the ear, and maybe more looking room to the right..
Have saying that , wasn't me composing the shot (( Envy )) and find it beautiful to view a true delight.. such a gorgeous unique looking creature and moment captured.. fabulous..!!

N X

Alfred Forns
01-10-2008, 12:25 PM
I like how you captured the moment !!!! Lots of feel to the image I like it a lot as presented but would not mind a bit more room Sure like the falling snow !!!! Big Congrats !!!