PDA

View Full Version : Sunset Loon

gail bisson
07-15-2018, 06:44 AM
On my recent trip to Kamloops, we were dogged by inclement weather- cloudy skies mostly.
Loons look pretty dull in that kind of light.
We were having dinner when the clouds unexpectedly (and not forecasted) cleared. Well, it was a mad dash getting the bill paid and racing back to the lake, grabbing our gear and heading out on the water.
We got lucky and found this loon within 10 minutes.
We were able to photograph him for about 10 minutes before the sun disappeared again.
Canon 1DX 600mm
F 5.6 SS 1/320 ISO 1600.
PP: Small crop, usual LR sliders and NR to BG, levels and DE/TC to bird at 10% opacity.
Comments and critiques always learned from and appreciated with thanks,
Gail

Joseph Przybyla
07-15-2018, 01:08 PM
Wow, this is really close, you must have been right next to the loon. Nice colors, complimentary background works well. I think F/8 might have been better, focus on the tip of the bill appears less sharp. Nice image, Gail... thank you for sharing.

Steven Budd
07-15-2018, 01:55 PM
Hi Gail.

Lovely clean portrait shot!

TTFN

Steve

John Mack
07-15-2018, 03:41 PM
Sweet light for sure. Love the pattern on the back. Nice low angle.

Glenn Pure
07-15-2018, 08:08 PM
This one must have been close, Gail. Pose is great and the colours and tones look well rendered. The limited depth of field detracts for me. More ISO would have helped get there and it seems you had a bit to play with in that area. But I know hindsight isn't much use to you at this point. I love the silky ripples in the water.

Stu Bowie
07-16-2018, 11:45 AM
Hi Gail, you nailed the HA here, and just love the different sheens on his head. Excellent low angle from your boat, and lots of detail and patterns to look over this fellow. I feel you have the focus spot on - on the eye, and Im fine with the DOF as is. I doubt being so close with a 600mm, you would have achieved much more, even stopping down.

Jonathan Ashton
07-17-2018, 08:15 AM
Lovely shot Gail, under these circumstances I would have gone for f8 and a faster shutter speed, nevertheless a very pleasing image, the colours and pose are beautiful.

David Salem
07-18-2018, 11:02 AM
Beautiful frame in gorgeous light Gail!! Love the pose and the nice BG colors too. This is one where another round of selective sharpening to the head only would help a bit as the critical focus seems to be on the near shoulder. Glad you got some light on the subject. Well done

Mike Poole
07-18-2018, 12:29 PM
Great light, and as always the low POV works perfectly. To me, as long as the eye is sharp I don't mind some fall off towards the end of the bill, each to their own I suppose.

Another winner though, hope you didn't get indigestion with all that running around after eating!

Mike