PDA

View Full Version : Midmorning Lilies

Layton E Parham
06-25-2008, 07:09 PM
While photographing a family of Swallowtail Kites, I noticed these waterlilies in a nearby pond. Canon Eos 1D MarkIII, 500F4@ 700mm, f5.6, 1/2500sec -1 stop. ISO400 Manual Mode
WWW.LaytonParhamPhoto.com (http://www.LaytonParhamPhoto.com)

Harold Davis
06-25-2008, 07:22 PM
hello, layton!! beautiful photo. nice to finally meet you sunday morning!! hope you had some success with the STKs!! cant wait to see them!

Julie Kenward
06-25-2008, 07:49 PM
Layton! What a beautiful exposure! Perfect lighting on this one. I would love to see a little more canvas on the right where the flower's petal is cut off but, other than that, it's drop dead gorgeous!

I'm heading out to my local botanical garden next weekend and can't wait to shoot their pond and lillies!

Bruce Murden
06-25-2008, 09:11 PM
I second Julie's take on the crop & especially exposure -- you can't beat the lighting. And the subject is a bit less skittish than the kites. The yellows and golds glow while the purple/blues remain soft. Maybe I'm a little off kilter tonight, but it appears to me that the pond is tilting down to the lower right, and the image may need a little rotation counter-clockwise. That would also give the image a little more "diagonality" (I think I just coined that word... at least I haven't heard it before).

Mike Moats
06-26-2008, 12:37 PM
Hey Layton, what a beautiful image, love the color and light, agree with others on the clipped petals on the right. Congrats on a great shot.

Roman Kurywczak
06-26-2008, 05:59 PM
Hey Layton,
so , so close......Fairchild Tropical Gardens???.........lettle bit of clip as mentioned above but the lighting is great.